Gluten-Free to Go, Made Easy

TIPS & ADVICE FROM THE PROS
By: Marlisa Brown – MS, RD, CDE, CDN Registered Dietician

After changing to a gluten-free diet I used to spend a lot of time trying to find meals that fit into my active lifestyle. Today, living gluten-free no longer means struggling to create interesting lunches to go, Udi’s fabulous gluten-free breads don’t require toasting, so packing sandwiches is easy, and delicious.

Some of my favorite sandwich combos include:

• Turkey with grilled red peppers and zucchini on Udi’s whole grain bread
  • Humus with alfalfa sprouts, and matchstick carrots on a Udi’s bagel
  • Avocado, turkey and tomato with mustard on Udi’s whole grain bread
  • Sliced chicken with red onions, roasted peppers, and lite mayo on Udi’s whole grain bread
  • Sliced roast beef with gluten-free horseradish sauce, and shredded lettuce on Udi’s whole grain bread
  • Smoked salmon with light cream cheese, with sliced red onion and tomato on Udi’s bagel
  • Sliced roasted turkey with cranberry sauce on Udi’s’s white sandwich bread
  • Grilled sliced chicken with mango chutney, and shredded red cabbage and onions on a Udi’s bagel
  • Grilled eggplant with shredded part skim mozzarella, basil, and sliced tomato on a Udi’s bagel
  • Tuna with lite mayo, onions, carrots and raisins on a Udi’s bagel

Round out your day with easy to carry snacks such as gluten-free snack bars, fresh fruit, light yogurt, bean salad, veggie sticks, gluten-free granola, popcorn, or gluten-free trail mix.

Kid Friendly Sandwiches

Sometimes it’s hard to get kids to eat their lunch, making lunchtime fun can help make it so your kids will look forward to finishing every bite. Why not prepare kid-friendly choices such as: peanut butter and jelly or American cheese sandwiches on Udi’s bread, cut into different fun shapes.  Have kids pick their favorite shapes, and then let them help you cut them out using cookie cutters.  Making kids part of the food preparation usually increases how much they will eat.

Pump up nutrition by including snacks that will make your kids feel good such as: gluten-free flavored milk, gluten-free mini yogurts or yogurt shakes, baby carrots or veggie sticks, grapes, already sliced fresh fruit (toss in lemon juice to keep it from turning brown), applesauce, fruit in it’s own juice, string cheese, gluten-free granola, gluten-free cookies, or a homemade gluten-free treat.

Finding delicious healthful gluten-free lunches is now easy, thanks to Udi’s Marlisa Brown (MS RD CDE CDN), author of “Gluten-Free, Hassle Free” and “Easy Gluten-Free.”

21 Responses to “Gluten-Free to Go, Made Easy”

1. Keith Tunison says:

I have been on a (primarily) Gluten free diet for a couple of years now. I have tried many of your competitors’ goods and figured that sawdust and rockhard products were my only options, until I found Udi’s! Thanks for returning joy to my morning coffee and toast (and bagels with a "shmear"!).

2. cathy says:

I originally bought Udi’s bread for my friend, who has Celiac disease, but after tasting it, I now buy it for myself! Thanks for putting so much effort into a great tasting gluten-free product. I love it toasted!

3. nancykelly says:

I live in Akron, Ohio East side. Where can I find Udi.s gluten free bread & bagels?????

4. Marguerite says:

I was a bread maker all my life until I found I was allergic to wheat. I now only use Udi’s and love the bread. I like the cinnamon rolls too but I love cinnamon and it needs more in my eyes.

5. Jackie Pierce says:

Thanks for the bread and bagels etc. It sure makes me more comfortable when eating knowing I am eating gluten free.
    Keep up the good work.

Jackie

6. Nancy says:

I am so thrilled to find Udi’s bread. I was so discouraged, told my store manager I wasn’t even going to try bread any longer, she encouraged me to try Udi’s and would buy me a loaf if I didn’t like it. It is the last bread I will ever buy. I love both whole grain and white. Please don’t change your recipe! I tell everyone I know to try your bread and they won’t have to try any other. I’m going to look for more Udi products! Thanks so very much!!

7. Mary says:

Is the pizza crust good? please let me know. The other thing is you have Fred Meyers and Winco listed as sellers in the Boise, ID area- and they are not in their stores. Any ideas?

8. penny randall says:

love the white bread!! i have found other brands but always felt like i was just settling, never i love bread still. i can eat a REAL sandwich again. can’t wait to try the cinnamon rolls. thanks

9. Sherry Hamilton says:

My struggle of finding a bread that would not fall apart before I took the first bite is over and it taste Great! I didn’t realize how much I missed being able to eat a sandwich. I had asked my grocer to include more GF products and yours was one! Then I found a coupon for $1 off and that was a bigger treat. Thank you.

10. Eleanor Lake says:

Thank you for the coupons But now my grocery store does’nt carry Udi’s.I "m hoping they will soon.I go to Meijer’s in Holland, Mi.I’ll keep checking to see if they start selling it.

11. Lisa Wilder says:

I am so glad you’re expanding! There were only 2 stores in my town where I could find Udi’s and both were on opposite ends of town from me. Now I can get my Udi’s at my local grocery store! Plus, I couldn’t use Udi’s coupons at the specialty store, but I can at my grocer! Thank you so much for your wonderful products! Keep them coming to Idaho!

12. joe ann wilkes says:

due to my allergies i’ve been forced to live a more healthful life i just want to say thank you for making the best gluten free bread i’ve tasted!

13. Lois Munn says:

It’s the best gluten free product ever. Joy to all of us who are gluten intolerant!

14. Jeanette Lampe says:

This is the first time in 8 years that I have had a cinnamon roll. They are very good. Also enjoy the muffins, and breads.

15. Melinda Mommaerts says:

I wish I could find more of your products in my neighborhood. I understand the cost of shipping…but it makes it hard to buy via the internet.

16. Vickie Zimny says:

I love your bread. But every loaf I have bought has been stale. Not soft at all. It makes good toast and grilled cheese, but not bread that taste fresh enough to eat as a sandwich that has not been toasted or grilled. The bread I buy is not outdated. Is this bread just not soft when you buy it? Love the muffins.

17. Sheree says:

I can’t express how grateful I am for your white sandwich bread. I have spent so much money trying all types of G.F. bread and none of them come close to UDI’s. It’s soft and light with a wheat-like texture. For the first time in years I can bring a sandwich for lunch. I plan to tell my support group all about your products!!!!

18. Patricia says:

I discovered at the ripe age of 76, I was gluten intolerant. WOW…life changed for me. I have tried so many bread recipes I’ve have lost count. Your bread is the very best. No after taste is the first thing I noticed. GF bread is a little drier but I have always like the chewy bread. Can Udi’s whole grain sandwich bread be sliced alittle thinner? So glad you have come into my life.

19. Rebecca Norris says:

I love your bread…..but, one thing I would like to see is a bigger loaf , cut in "Thicker" Slices. BIGGER…..THICKER….. I would buy both. Thanks.

20. joanne erickson says:

Thank you for your bread – life is almost normal again! it’s been a treat to have bread again – you’re the best, and I’ve told many people about your wonderful bread, pizza crust, and muffins :)