Dave’s Desperation

My husband was diagnosed with Celiac Disorder on his 56th birthday three years ago (he was born on Halloween). He used to eat at least two to three sandwiches a day and loves toast. He was depressed that the things in life he loved the most were being “taken away”. No cake, no pizza, no English muffins, no spaghetti. It seemed like it became my job to say “no-no” to this wonderful adult male I had been married to for 35 years. It got to the point that it seemed to always be my fault when he coldn’t have what he wanted to eat. We tried all of the “cardboard box” breads, the weird flours, baking mixes, even lettuce wraps. Nothing made him happy. Then a friend told us about UDI and I found a store in Loma Linda, CA (Seventh Day Adventist stores have great products). I made Dave a tuna melt (which he’d been dreaming of for 3 years) and HE LOVED IT! I found it two days before our 36th anniversary and made him a tuna-swiss melt and, well, let’s just say it was a great anniversary. Thanks so much UDI. Now, if I could only find a great pasta for him, I might be sainted! Even out picky granddaughters love it. We now have the whole family eating gluten-free and allergies have disappeared, tummies are happier and so am I.

Name: Donna Beveridge
Email: ntlc01@charter.net
City: Big Bear City
State: CA

7 Responses to “Dave’s Desperation”

1. Linda Becker says:

How I WISH Udi’s made English Muffins! I’m sure no other brand will do. I tried other products before I found Udi’s and they were so bad; like bread dissolving into meal in your mouth. Gross! Glad that Wal-Mart will carry Udi’s products (our little town, it will probably take a few months). PLEASE make some English Muffins!!

2. Billy says:

Hi Missy
    I haven’t found the perfect pasta yet either – I might try a few mentioned above. I often use Asian Rice Noodles in my favorite dishes. Its not the same but I have found the texture to be better.

3. Deborah says:

Being Italian, I have tried all kinds of pasta in the last 5 years since my husbands Celiac diagnosis. By far the Tinkyada pasta has been the best. It has a good flavor, does not get mushy and comes in a wide variety of pasta types.

4. Larry says:

Try bionatrae Pasta. Very good, almost better than the real wheat pasta. Made with rice,patato and soy. I buy it at Whole Foods.

5. Linda B says:

I agree that Udi’s bread is wonderful. For the last nine years or so, I basically either baked my own or did without. Even toasted, what was called "bread" tasted more like particle board! Now I’m a happy camper! Regarding pasta, I found Le Veneziane, a corn pasta in several shapes, made in Italy where they know their pasta! It’s available online and good enough to even serve to guests! To me, it’s the Udi’s of pasta!

6. cg says:

Also try Trader Joe’s gluten free spaghetti noodles made from brown rice. They taste extremely close to the real thing without the high tinkyada price tag. I think they run 1.99 for a one pound package.

7. Missy says:

Hi Donna,

Tinkyada is a great gluten free pasta brand. They have several different types of pasta and even have lasagna strips. It is to pasta what Udi’s is to bread!

Namaste brand is a wonderful brand for baking items – they have a pizza mix that comes out pretty great for homemade pizza; they’re brownies, cakes, cookies, muffins…it’s all wonderful.

Kinnikinik brand (spelling may be slightly off) has pretty yummy donuts. You have to keep them in the freezer and warm them in the mic, but once you perfect the mic time they are very enjoyable. They also have some "muffins" that I actually use for hamburger buns. You keep them frozen, so when I’m ready to use one, I’ll throw it in the mic for about a minute, I believe, then I cut it and stick it in the toaster, it comes out pretty perfect and it doesn’t break apart. They are pretty thick for me, so I’ve even begun slicing them into four sections so one muffin makes two hamburger buns.

When I was diagosed it was equally shocking and depressing, but I quickly learned that there are plenty of yummy ways to get in trouble even on this gluten free diet we now have to live with. It’s becoming so well known now that there really are great options springing up all the time.

I hope this helps you and Dave find your way a little more with the gluten free diet and the options that are out there for us.

Take good care and happy anniversary! :)

– Missy