My Gluten Free Life

MeMy name is Amy and my hope is to aid you in conquering the allergen free journey with tips and advice that has gotten me through so far. Sticking to a strictly gluten free diet is a must for me, as I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease (aka Celiac Sprue) over 5 years ago and eating gluten is absolutely INTOLERABLE for my digestive system!

When I was first diagnosed, I was very naive when it came to eating a Gluten Free diet. For example, the following thought actually crossed my husband’s and my mind: “No wheat? Oh, then we can just switch to white bread and bagels!” Ha! Don’t be afraid if the same thought crossed your mind. I was there too and have come a long way in the last 5 years. My hope is to pass the confidence to you and to show you that with the help of quality brands like Udi’s, you don’t have to miss out on your favorite foods!

13 Responses to “My Gluten Free Life”

1. Patti says:

Does anyone out there have gluten and lactose intolerence ??? I would so appreciate some feedback, and how you are coping. Thank You so much.

2. Michelle H. says:

My son has Crohn’s Disease, but we also found out recently that he has a significant "sensitivity" to gluten and dairy. After years of hearing doctors say they do not know what caused his disease, I feel like we finally have a connection between his "sensitivities" and what is attributing to his inflammation. I would bet there are MANY more children and adults who are dealing with the same issues. Any guidance would be appreciated. thank you–

3. Sasha C says:

My son was diagnosed when he was 11/2 years old, and we went through a grieving process (still going through it), just because he will miss out on some of the things that I have taken for granted. He will never know the difference, so I am grateful that we found out so early. We debated getting the diagnosis as well (as per Sharon Hardy’s concern), but our feeling was that we wanted to know for sure that it was Celiac, in case it could have been something else. It was very hard to feed my baby gluten for a month, knowing that it was most likely harming him. I am glad that we have the diagnosis, so that as he gets older, and realizes that his food is different, we can tell him why,and how important it is to stick to his diet.

Our concern now is for our daughter, she is 6 months old, and I am scared to give her any wheat (not sue how long she’ll eat the rice cereal though!). Has anyone read anything about delaying gluten food having an affect on not developing the allergy?

Thanks for listening!

4. RkyMtnHi says:

I have celiac and was raised in a home mostly wheat-free because my dad is celiac too. I feel like it’s extremely easy to be gluten-free these days, especially since there are great substitutes like the bagels/bread/muffins Udi’s makes and there is awesome pasta and pizza out there that tastes like the "real thing." And if you can’t get it in the store, it’s all online. My poor dad only had corn chips and corn tortillas and awful millet bread. Being celiac isn’t hard–if you think about the food you eat day in-day out, almost 75% doesn’t contain wheat anyway. (Unless you’re a total carb addict!) I’m just waiting for the day when we get the substitute for a spongy warm flour tortilla so I can start making my breakfast burritos again. Although I hear Amy’s has a frozen version of that now…

5. katieb says:

Lynn,

It will work just fine once you go through your ‘berievement’ period. Seriously!! Gluten filled foods are just TOO important in the American diet. But you CAN do it—-and just how much better you feel will be worth all the effort. I know—-because our 5 year journey so far has been quite the learning experience. The first thing you want to do is make sure you understand about trace glutens allowed in packaged and labeled ‘GF’ foods—-because once you go GF you can and will get sick from them. But Udi’s foods have been totally safe for my kids—luckily!! I suggest you begin by heading over to Gluten Free Society and find out what True Gluten Free Diet really is, because it’s a great place to educate yourself and watch some great video’s of people who have learned the diet and feel so much better.

Good luck!

6. Sharon Hardy says:

After doing some research on my symptoms, I stopped eating gluten, and they are almost gone. But, in order to be diagnosed (I believe I have Celiac’s), I will have to eat normally to build up antibodies for an accurate test result. Is there any point to even being officially diagnosed, since eating gluten-free is something some people do for other reasons, and it’s not going to harm me to stay away from gluten. I will risk further damaging my small intestine by going that way, just to get a diagnoses.
    Do you have any suggestions? Should I continue as I’m doing, and leave well-enough alone, or should I go for a diagnoses.

7. Sandy Buster says:

My 23 year old daughter has been diagnosed with Celiac disease recently. Could you please email me some of your favorite recipes, and some tips for shopping for these products. Thanks alot

8. Gail Carollo says:

Giving up wheat is really not all that difficult. This is for all the newbies out there. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. There is still lots of delicious food that you CAN eat. Just focus on that! Staying away from gluten is good for everyone…..not just Celiacs. If you have been having trouble dropping the pounds it will come off more easily if you stop eating gluten.

9. Johanna B says:

Look forward to reading your posts in the future. I am a big Udi’s fan. I was diagnosed with CD in the fall of 2009. My mother had it in the days when there weren’t all the wonderful GF products there are now and we all survived on a GF diet. There just wasn’t as much variety as there is now.

@Lynn Niebur
    Hang in there. Read as much as you can about the gluten-free lifestyle and don’t be afraid to try new foods. You can eat very well on this "diet". Try to find a local support group. Mine has been a Godsend and the source of what is available to us locally.

10. Janeen says:

You will be so amazed at how good you will start to feel after such a short time of being GF. Its so worth it–to feel well.

11. Sue says:

My Mom is 65 and was just diagnosed last week- my 7 year old son has Celiac disease so she knows a bit about the changes she will need to make but also has a lot to learn. It is overwhelming at first– but really it settles down and you find things to replace the things you loved. Its a journey- do not be overwhelmed!

12. Carol says:

Lynn, It does work…really. My daughter was diagnosed 4 1/2 years ago, and we just revamped all of our favorite recipes so they are GF. I can send you all our secrets and favorite product hints if you’d like.

13. Lynn Niebur says:

Newly diagnosed Celiac patient I am overwhelmed with the changes in my life right now. I am a 52 year old wife, mom and grandma and I am having a very hard time seeing how this is going to work for me.