Gluten-Free Holiday Survival Guide

On Thursday November 18th we asked our Facebook fans to give us their best gluten-free tips for surviving the holidays. We received tips ranging from general celiac support to the best gluten free gifts, but we think the following ten tips are the best to remember:

1. "Keep in mind that gluten free food isn’t the only thing that makes the holidays festive. The holidays are all about the friendship, love, generosity, and laughter that is shared with those around you. Take the focus away from the gluten-free food and enjoy the moment you are in."- Christine

2. "When dining at other people’s houses always bring at least one dish you can safely eat."- Barb P.

3. "Keep the peace by serving great wine along with great food and everyone will be so busy enjoying their food and drink that they’ll get along wonderfully!"- Michele H.

4. "I bring colored spoons to serve my gluten free foods to avoid cross contamination and help make it easier on the other guests."- Haley

5. "Remember that long-term health is more important than a momentary splurge."- Carol

6. "Plan ahead, but keep things simple. Also remember that friends & family want to be involved so let them help too."- Deborah B.

7. "Keep exercising throughout the holidays."- Beth W.

8. "Remember that the holidays only come once a year so make the best of them!"- Samantha

9. "Don’t go without! Find ways to make all your holiday favorites gluten free."- Lisa R.

10. "Many years ago I started a gluten-free cookie swap in mid-November at my Celiac Support Group. Participants bring 3 cookies in holiday wrap times the number of participants. We leave our November meeting with between 10 & 20 packages of holiday cookies in pretty wrap to take to holiday parties and gatherings so we don’t feel left out!"-Aleka M.

Thank you to everyone who participated in our survey and we hope these 10 tips bring you success in living gluten free around the holidays. Remember to always HAVE FUN in everything that you do!

Jillian

20 Responses to “Gluten-Free Holiday Survival Guide”

1. June Brown says:

I have had the Udi’s bagels, muffins, and bread and as a result have a new wonderful outlook on gluten free products. All are fantastic tasting and the plain white bread made a terrific turkey stuffing. Everyone loved it!!!!

2. D says:

If Udi’s could make a stuffing mix like Pepperidge Farms seasoned stuffing mix, all gluten free folks would be in heaven!!!

3. sally says:

Anyone else dairy and soy sensitive as well as gluten? How l miss cheese!!!

4. Jean Leaming says:

The secret of deep fried fish is Rice Flour. First dip in rice flour, then in beaten egg and then in corn flake crumbs. Yum

5. Jean Leaming says:

I have a good rice-mushroom dressing recipe if anyone wants it

6. June says:

God bless you, Udi!! You make life a little easier and for that I am thankful.

7. Barry McKelvey says:

Your Bread is without a doubt, the Best.
    All the Stop & Shop Markets seem to be carrying it now. Now we have to get the Shoprites on Board.
    Everyone with the problem, is a fool for not trying your Great Bread. And when they do, they will become your customer from then on.

8. Beth Gaines says:

I am fairly new to gluten intolerance and find all the comments very encouraging. Thanks to this newsletter and Happy Holidays to all the contributors!!!

9. Vuolet says:

A friend of mine shipped my kids items which included Udi’s bread and bagles they loved them. She also included a pecan pie from Houston’s Gluten Gree bakery we were taken back at how good the pie was.

10. geraldine campbell says:

I have no idea what HTML mean. I have to say I love your bread for toast!! So far it is the only bread that looks and tastes like toast! Plus you have other items that are very good.

11. Nancy Morrison says:

I really your bread and need to try the bagles!

12. Alice Poynor says:

Holidays are a bit challenging but they do not need to be any less enjoyable. I make the things I usually made just substituting g.f. flour for regular flour. Everyone enjoys them and wouldn’t know the difference if I didn’t tell them. The only thing I had to change was pie because I can’t find g.f. pie crust and making it from a regular recipe with g.f. flour didn’t turn out well. So I now make a crumb crust our of g.f. ginger snaps and arrowroot biscuits crushed togerher and fill it with cheese cake topped with cherry or raspberries. Mmmm! Don’t despair. G.F. can open up new possibilities.

13. Wendy says:

I made turkey gravy with a gluten free flour mix. Rave reviews from my husband he said it was the best gravy he’d ever tasted! So why was I worried?

14. Ella says:

I, too, have wonderful family and friends who are very supportive of my gluten intolerance, but I do try to make it easier on them by cooking dishes that I can eat and adding them to the menu. I continue to bake my families favorites, as well, so that they can have the Real McCoy. That way, everyone is happy!!

15. Heather says:

The best thing I created for my Celiac fiance at our first GF holiday party! Enjoy!!

Mint Mocha Martini
    1 shot GF Vodka (Smirnoff or Ciroc)
    1 shot Kahlua
    1 shot Peppermint Mocha coffee creamer by Coffee-Mate
    Garnish with Reddi-Whip & chopped Andes Mints

16. Anna says:

I would like to know the recipe for gluten free stuffing. I am going to attempt to make it on Friday, December 24th.
    Merry Christmas!

17. kimber says:

I made gluten free cookies and non-gluten free cookies for the holidays this year ~ Everybody loved the gluten-free cookies the best!

18. Suzy says:

Share your gluten free status with family and friends. If they know you will be at an event most will try to be sure of something you too can eat. Many foods can be gluten free by as simple a switch as
    dusting a fried food with cornstarch or using it to thicken the gravy.

19. Tina Seals says:

I had my entire family over for Thanksgiving and created an entirely gluten free meal including the desserts and they never knew the difference. I got rave reviews on every dish including my chicken and noodles and my stuffing. It was such a joy to be able to create a meal that I could eat and that my family enjoyed!

20. Cecelia says:

My family has helped alot. There are things I know I can’t eat,but They try to made things that I and everyone else can eat so I don’t eat. A wonderful fanily