Healthy Gluten-Free Eating

Healthy eating hasn’t always been standard practice in my life. Growing up, my father and I stood resolute in our unhealthy Sunday ritual of fast food and Chicago Bears games. Since then, I have (thankfully) learned that food is so much more than instant gratification – it is the gas that fuels our bodies and, fortunately for us, it can also taste delicious. I am perpetually seeking out new ways to creatively cook and prepare food to feel more energized, run faster, and, of course, make my taste buds smile.

Recently, I discovered the importance of snacking on a gluten free diet. Rather than eating three large meals per day, I now try to squeeze in five to six mini meals and pack each dining experience with nutrients. These meals are less daunting in terms of preparation and it’s super easy to make or find gluten free options! Here are some of my favorite snacks suitable for anytime of the day.

Yogurt – The probiotics found in live and active cultures are great for strengthening the immune system and regulating the digestive tract. And it is very versatile. You can add almost anything to yogurt such as fruit, honey, granola… be creative!

Edamame – High in fiber, edamame can help lower your cholesterol and keep you satiated longer. Additionally, the isoflavones found in edamame have been found to lower the risk of heart disease. Simple to make and fun to eat, it’s hard to go wrong with these soy beans.

Nonfat Cottage cheese – Cottage cheese is low in calories, but packed with calcium – one cup serving delivers 140 mg of calcium! And, with a few supplements, you can make this snack savory (lemon pepper and veggies) or sweet (fresh peaches).

Hummus– Hummus is a good source of omega 3 fatty acids to keep your mind quick and your heart healthy. As an added bonus, it contains a plethora of vitamins: iron, vitamin B6, manganese, copper, folic acid, and amino acids. Grill or toast Udi’s pizza crust to make pita chips and you have the perfect hummus-dipping vehicle.

Apple Slices and Natural Peanut Butter – Keep your muscles strong with this high-protein, high-fiber snack. The sticky, crunchy texture of peanut butter (or, smooth for all you creamy types) is a match made in heaven for crispy, sweet apples.

Following a wheat free diet benefits me. How about you? What are the snacks that keep your days filled with tiny bursts of happiness?

-Maeve

25 Responses to “Healthy Gluten-Free Eating”

1. Ronald E. Price says:

Celery (after cleaned)pack with peanut butter and crunch away

2. Ronald E. Price says:

Udis bread is the best fpr GF Bread. Too bad it doesn’t bake in 24oz. sizes like flour breads do.

3. Karen says:

Edamame…soybeans
    If GMO soy products give me migraines, will this trigger them also?
    Sooo much soy in boxed prods, oils, ‘energy’ bars etc. argggg!

4. Sandy says:

Tryed your cinnamon rolls, but they have no instructions on heating them and I did thaw and heat in micro. but on low amt. I thought they where dry. Please advise. Thank you, Sandy
    Love your bread my favorite. Would like in Piggly Wiggleys in Wautoma Wi.

5. Kim Donelon says:

My 13 year old daughter has celiac. All the snacks mentioned are favorites of hers…event he hard-boiled eggs. Her favorites breakfast/snack is Udi’s vanilla granola over Greek yogurt with honey and fruit. She also likes to steam a bag of jasmine rice for a quick after school.

6. charlene Howarth says:

I appreciate your comments. I just found out I have celiac diease too. It is vwery hard to go out to eat. I am finding alot of resturant do have a menu, but, you do have to ask for it. I like knowing other get low on engery. Thanks, Charlene

7. caryn says:

I, too, love almond butter on rice cakes. I prefer corn cakes actually.
    And when I’m in New York, I LOVE to snack on Goddess Cookies, which are gluten-free and vegan.

8. Elaine says:

Diana, you’ll be happy to learn that all the food items listed are available in most supermarkets, as they are naturally gluten free. If you shop in produce and dairy you will find most of them. Enjoy!

9. maria says:

Is there anyway you can get your products into more supermarkets. I normally have to go to a specialty store that is out of my way to get your bread. Could your company look into having your bread available at ShopRite in Middletown, NY 10940 ?? They have extended their product line to include so many gluten free items and UDI is missing from their line. Please help.

10. Dee Amiel says:

I am interested in the gluten free products as I am presently being tested for celiac disease. I’m just tryint to prepare myself. So I will be watching for the newsletter all the time!

11. Judy says:

Fruit leathers (100% fruit), almonds, corn thins, rice crackers, baby carrots-these are snacks that get me through my work day.

12. Norma says:

Would like to be able to buy some gluten-free cinnamon raisin bread. Also wish the UDI slices were a bit bigger to make a "normal" size sandwich.

13. Debbie says:

Corn tortilla quesadillas with different fillings each time using whatever I have on hand (i.e. black olives, jalapeno slices, seasoned meat). Still have yet to try making my own GF flour tortillas, so it’s corn for now.

14. Lisa Reynolds says:

I dip apple rounds in hummus (or carrots in spinach flavored hummus) and cucumber slices in pimento cheese dip. A handful of nuts with dried fruit is also a great snack.

15. Sondra says:

I eat soy yorgut, gluten free crackers with kosher dill pickles, craisins, fruit snacks or my homemade mashed potatoes.

16. Florence Abrams says:

Udi bread is now up the corner at D’agstinos…it is good toasted and the crust is softer than an other brand….thank you for helping me thru Celiac

17. April says:

Gluten Free Snacks:
    peanuts/peanut protein bars that are gluten free
    Faje greek yogurt with agave or honey
    Trader Joe’s Gluten free granola with cranberries
    Gluten Free Pretzels

18. wilsonpaul says:

jk

19. Diana Jerrell says:

I dont have a store near where I live and I have Celiac Decease and I have to be on these Gluten foods for my health,,could I order from your company and have them ship alot of idems to me???

20. Gluten Free Athlete says:

Thanks for the tips! Hardboiled eggs, Almond butter on rice cakes, those are the best for me!