Gluten Free Pumpkin Sausage Stuffing
Thanksgiving is a time to celebrate friends, family, and the many things we have to be thankful for. It’s easy to focus on big things and lose sight of life’s everyday joys. When was the last time you thought about how warm and cozy your favorite fuzzy socks feel? Fuzzy socks are something to be thankful for! What about the warming sensation of sunshine caressing your face on a brisk fall day? Sunshine is something to be thankful for!
Each Thanksgiving, we celebrate by holding a feast and the traditional fare is looked forward to with great anticipation. Succulent oven-roasted turkey, creamy mashed potatoes swimming in a pool of gravy, jewel toned cranberry sauce…. Our mouths are watering just thinking about it! However, the piece’ de resistance of our Thanksgiving table has, and always will be, the stuffing!
This year, we are thankful to be able to share this be-UDI-ful gluten-free stuffing recipe that looks as impressive as it tastes! In fact, it can double as a table centerpiece!
Get ready! It’s time to roll up our sleeves and “take the stuffing back”, Udi’s style!
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Sausage Stuffing
- 2 loaves Udi’s White Sandwich Bread, cut into ¼” cubes
- 1 4-5lb medium Pumpkin
- 1/4 cup Butter, melted
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Dried, Sweetened Cranberries
- 1 cup White Wine
- 2 Tblsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Tblsp Butter
- 1 medium Yellow Onion, chopped
- 4 ribs Celery, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 Braeburn Apples, chopped
- 1 lb Gluten-Free Ground Sausage
- 2 Tblsp Poultry Seasoning
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh Sage, chopped
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 2-3 cups Chicken Broth
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place Wine in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Pour hot wine over dried Cranberries and allow to sit for about 10 minutes, then discard the soaking liquid.
- Place Udi’s White Sandwich Bread cubes on a baking sheet and gently toast in the oven. Watch closely to avoid burning.
- Cut the top/lid off of the Pumpkin and set aside. Pull out the seeds and strings from inside the pumpkin and brush the inside flesh with the melted Butter. Season the inside of the Pumpkin with Sea Salt & Black Pepper.
- Place Pumpkin on a roasting pan and bake in your preheated oven about 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and 4 Tbsp. Butter over medium heat until melted.
- Add the Onion, Celery, Garlic,Poultry Seasoning, and 2 Tbsp each chopped, fresh Sage and Italian Parsley. Saute’ until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the Apples and soaked Cranberries and season with Sea Salt and Pepper. Saute’ about 2 more minutes.
- Add the Sausage and cook until warmed through. Be sure to break up the Sausage with a spoon as it cooks.
- Add the Heavy Cream and heat through.
- Place the Sausage mixture in a large bowl and gently fold in the cubed, toasted Udi’s Bread.
- Slowly fold in the Eggs and Chicken Broth until the mixture is evenly moist, but not wet.
- Stir in the remaining fresh Parsley and Sage.
- Fill the Pumpkin with the stuffing and return to the 350 degree oven. Bake 20 minutes.
- Serve directly from the pumpkin topped with the pumpkin top!