Joy Mission: Question #9

We realize dining out can be hard when you are eating gluten-free, but more and more restaurants are offering gluten-free options on their menu. Check out the answers to today’s Joy Mission question to see where others are dining out. Don’t forget to comment with your best dining experience. Of course…yours may have been pre-gluten free!
Question #9

Note: Comments may take a while to appear. Please only submit your comment once. To read more about the prizes and for official rules, click here.

WINNERS LIST

1. Sarah L. – It was in the restaurant in our hotel that we went to on our 1 year anniversary trip. I had this garlic and herd roasted beef tenderloin that was amazing!
  2. Bing Y. – The Olive Garden closest to our home is really nice. Delicious food and excellent service. I had Grilled Steak & Portobello for lunch last time I was there.
  3. Bonnie B. – Malawis’ Pizza–the gf crust is only $1 more and you can get dessert pizza gf too.
  4. Donna S. – I can remember a few times when something was wrong with my dinner and besides getting a new plate, I also received a free dessert!
  5. Grace Y. – I am gluten and soy free and lactose intolerant. Last year my cousin and her family took me to Blue Moon Cafe in Seattle, where they specialize in cheap (but delicious!) gourmet burgers. They have some of the best gluten-free buns I have ever had, and also have a special fryer for gluten-free french fries. I had the cajun burger, which was spicy and delicious. I’m going back to Seattle in a few weeks, and I’m going to beg my family to take me there again.
  6. Jenai B. – I think the best was dining all week on a NCL cruise to Alaska. They really went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of, and the food was great. One of the maitre d’s would check up on me every day and tell me what options I could have. This was only 3 months after I found out I had Celiac Disease, so having so many options was amazing to me at the time. :)
  7. Amber H. - I love Five Guys Burgers & Fries. Great to be able to order a burger without a bun without being looked at strange!
  8. Kiki V. – Definately P.F. Changs
  9. Randal M. – Pizza! Nothing like pizza from a pizzeria!
  10. Lindsey B. – It was in the restaurant in our hotel that we went to on our 1 year anniversary trip. I had this garlic and herd roasted beef tenderloin that was amazing!

427 Responses to “Joy Mission: Question #9”

1. Tamara G says:

Red Brick Pizza – I had a gluten free dailry free pizza from a brick oven. I ate the whole thing. I haven’t had a pizza with "cheese" out in 14 years since I was ordered no dairy by MD.

2. Mia says:

Deschutes Brewery in Portland, Oregon. An Elk Burger on an amazing GF bun, made in house, with a side of sweet potato fries from the GF frier and a freshly brewed GF beer on tap! If ever in Portland, its a must!

3. Linda says:

Sangria Grille in Moscow, ID. A higher end restaurant with great food. What I really liked was that my husband and I looked at identical menus. I didn’t have to request a separate menu, or ask for exceptions, but the menu had a GF next to any item you could get with a gluten-free option. It was awesome!!

4. Alison says:

It is always BJ’s Brewhouse. Their glutenfree pizza is the best i have ever had. The best dessert ever is BJ’s Pizzokie Glutenfree. This is a brand new item and thank goodness they have made it glutenfree. The Pizzokie is a deepdish chocolatechip cookie served warm and gooey with vanilla icecream. It is soooooooo good!

5. Kathy says:

Joe’s American Bar and Grill in Framingham, MA They take over the order as the server says ‘gluten free" and either the manager or head chef takes it from start to finish

6. Cocoa says:

Chipotle. Everything is gluten free but the flour tortillas, obvs. They make your food in front of you and when you walk up and ask they will wash their hands and put on fresh gloves. When they pass my bowl on to the next person for toppings the next person automatically does the same without me having to ask twice. Plus, I love that they use fresh organic ingredients.
    It might be fast food, but it’s the safest I’ve ever felt at a restaurant. One time I asked for a fresh thing of cheese because they don’t use tongs in it and I was concerned about cross contamination from touching tortillas, then reaching into the cheese – they got it for me, no problem.

7. Amy says:

The best experience that I have had was just about a week ago. I had seen via the Udi’s web site that Red Robin was now serving the Gluten Free Buns. I had been craving a good burger with a nice fluffy bun for a while ( the lettuce wraps weren’t cutting it anymore). I told my husband about how they were now serving them he took me to Red Robin that night and I was able to sink my teeth into one of the best mushroom Swiss burgers that I had had in a LONG time. The bun was wonderful! It made my year!

8. Diane says:

Picazzo’s is awesome!

9. Janice Monds says:

Eating at the Outback is great. Usually I have a steak and steamed veggies.

10. Debbie says:

I guess it was a week of best dining experiences when we went on a Carnival Cruise. They would show me the menu the night before so they could prepare whatever I wanted gluten-free for the next nigh even desserts – chocolate melting cake was my favorite! And they would make hot gluten free bread for the meal. YUM!!

11. Deb says:

My favorite gluten-free meal was at Disney World. All of their restaurants, including food courts, do gluten free. The send the chef out to consult with you about your options. The very best experience for me was the first morning at a character breakfast when they brought me my gluten-free Mickey Mouse waffles. I hadn’t had a restaurant waffle in 16 years. They are so accommodating, it’s worth the trip!

12. carolyn blean says:

My favorite place would be Gallaghers pizza in DePere Wi. they have the best Gf pizza in town.

13. Beth says:

One of my favorite restaurants is a little mom and pop Mexican restaruant that makes the best Huevos Rancheros, and beans

14. Yehudis says:

I don’t have any special dietary needs, in terms of staying away from gluten, but living in a college dorm…I love the restaurant called "My Mother’s Kitchen", that’s the one in the dining room at your house with your mother’s home-cooked food! Nothing tops that!

15. Flo Kahn says:

Dinner at the local diner, an open faced turkey sandwich, hold the bread and gravy.

16. Teresa S says:

Ted’s Montana Grill in downtown Naperville, IL.
    Wonderful Gluten Free Menu with a understanding and GF educated proprietor!

17. Mara says:

We are fortunate in the NW to have culinary academy trained chefs such as Matthew Domingo of Farm to Fork serve local sourced ingredients for multi course dinners on the property of farmers, vineyards etc all summer in Rogue & Willamette Valley as well as Mt Hood and rafting the Rogue River. Portable outdoor kitchen and fresh picked ingredients = divine meal + amazing ambiance!

18. Stacie Provost says:

I really enjoyed eating at Real Food Daily. They are vegan and organic but they also have gluten free dishes. They had a great "turkey" dinner which comes with corn-sage stuffing, mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, mashed yams, sautéed greens, and cranberry sauce. It was so very yummy!!!

19. Andrea says:

Yeah! Burger in Atlanta. I made my parents go out of their way to try this place and it was excellent. I was excited to have a burger on a bun like a normal person. I loved that they had gluten free fries, onion rings, and fried okra. It was an awesome meal. Definitely worth the drive!

20. Heidi D says:

My favorite place to eat is Bunky’s Restaurant in Madison, WIsc. It has an excellent Mediteranian style menu. The best part is that all but a couple items can be made gluten-free! Their GF pizza is amazing! I am grateful to be able to "go out for pizza" and enjoy a tasty meal.