Gluten Free Holiday Gifts From The Kitchen
Give your friends & neighbors a holiday gift to keep them warm throughout the holiday season — Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate Mix & Homemade Mocha Marshmallows!
Everyone gives out cookies for the holidays. Don’t get us wrong, we love cookies. We have been known to polish off an entire container of Udi’s Gluten-Free Snickerdoodles in one sitting! (Admittedly, that was bad moment. Don’t tell Santa that we didn’t share!) However, man cannot live by cookies alone. Hot Chocolate has to fit in there somewhere! Mason jars filled with our homemade dairy-free hot chocolate mix are a fa-la-la-la-fantastic holiday gift from the kitchen! To make this treat even more special, include homemade mocha marshmallows!
Don’t be scared! It’s not as difficult as it sounds. Plus, the look of joy on the faces of those on the receiving end of these gourmet goodies makes all the time & effort worth it!
Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate Mix
(Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Vegan)
- 2 cups Vance’s DariFree Powdered Milk Substitute
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup Vanilla Sugar (recipe below)
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- Combine all ingredients and store in an air tight container.
- To make 1 cup of Hot Chocolate, combine 1 cup boiling water with 4 Tbsp mix.
- 2 cups unbleached Cane Sugar
- 1 whole Vanilla Bean, cut into small pieces
- Place sugar and vanilla bean in a food processor and process until vanilla bean is finely minced.
- Store in an air tight container in a cool, dry place.
Homemade Mocha Marshmallows
(Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free)
- 4 Tblsp Unflavored Powdered Gelatin
- 1 cup Cold Water
- 3 cups unbleached Cane Sugar
- 1 1/4 cups Light Agave Nectar
- ½ cup Water
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Coffee Extract
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 cup Confectioners Sugar
- Spray a glass 9×13 pan with non-stick cooking spray and dust with confectioners sugar.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, place gelatin and cold water and allow to gel. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the cane sugar, agave nectar, & remaining water to a boil. Cook until it reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Slowly beat the hot syrup mixture into the gelatin. Turn the mixer speed up and add the coffee & vanilla extracts.
- Beat on high until mixture volume has nearly tripled in size, 6-10 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared glass pan and smooth with a lightly oiled spatula. Allow to sit uncovered, at room temperature, for 8-12 hours, or overnight.
- The next day, in a small bowl, whisk together cocoa powder & confectioners sugar.
- Lightly dust a cutting board with the sugar & cocoa mixture.
- Turn the marshmallows out of the pan onto the dusted cutting board. It should come out in one piece.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut marshmallows to desired size.
- Thoroughly coat each marshmallow in the sugar & cocoa mixture to prevent it from sticking.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to one week.
Have a be-UDI-ful holiday season!