The Ultimate Gluten Free Gingerbread House
Written by Jill Wilson. Jill has a background in fitness and nutrition and her favorite Udi’s product is our Millet Chia Bread, because it has added fiber and protein.
The winter holiday season is my favorite time of the year filled with a combination of family, food and fun! One of my favorite family festivities is building gingerbread houses. I’m not quite sure why this is the activity I look forward to the most – maybe it’s because it involves two of my favorite pastimes – art and food; maybe it’s because it’s the ultimate test of creativity and analytics to build the perfectly dimensional ‘outside-of-the-cookie-box’ sugar monument; or, maybe it’s because it’s one of the rare opportunities where it’s perfectly acceptable to a ‘big kid.’ Regardless of the reason, the holidays are a great time to gather around the kitchen table, put aside our hectic lives, and focus on enjoying the company of others!
Here are 4 basic steps to constructing the ultimate gluten free gingerbread house that your entire family can enjoy:
Make the Dough and Icing.
- There are lots great gluten free gingerbread recipes out there! You can find a few of them here, here, or here.
- For the icing, try making this recipe.
Cut out the Base, Walls, and Roof.
It helps to pre-plan and use a ruler to avoid a confectionary mishap.
You may also want to print out a template to help guide you. Find different options here.
Construct the House.
- Spread icing along the edges of the gingerbread base. Attach one of the walls and hold to allow ‘mortar’ to set. Repeat with the remaining walls and roof.
Decorate with Your Favorite Candy.
Here are a few suggestions for Gingerbread House décor:
- Roof – Starburst Chews, Pez, or Skittles
- Chimney – 3 Musketeers Mini
- Lawn Ornaments – Gummi Bears and Candy Canes
- Trees – Dum Dum Lollipops
- Sidewalk – Udi’s Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Driveway – Udi’s Au Naturel Granola
**Gluten Free Candy List courtesy of Celiaccentral.org
……and voilà – a gingerbread house that the entire family can admire…and then eat!
Or, if you prefer the easier route, several companies offer a ready-to-construct gluten free gingerhouse kit, complete with pre-baked gingerbread and candy! You can find them here:
Send us a picture of your gluten free gingerbread house creations!