Gluten-Free Greek Breakfast Casserole
Written by Katrina Morales. Katrina is a Sales Representative here at Udi’s Gluten Free Foods. She enjoys whipping up delicious gluten free creations in her kitchen and sharing them with you!
The stockings are hung by the chimney with care, brightly wrapped packages peak out from under the tree, and bleary-eyed little ones begin to stir in their beds. The smell of coffee and cinnamon mingles with the aroma of a fresh-from-the-oven Greek Breakfast Casserole. One thing is for certain, the holidays have arrived!
Growing up, Christmas meant freshly baked cinnamon buns and savory breakfast casserole enjoyed while lounging around the living room exchanging gifts. That first holiday on a gluten-free diet was like torture. Watching everyone else enjoy our holiday favorites and being confined to a bowl of melon balls was not exactly the “Merry Christmas” we were used to. Thank goodness for Udi’s! Now, everyone can enjoy delicious, piping hot gluten-free cinnamon rolls and egg casseroles without feeling deprived or left out of the holiday merriment.
This recipe for Greek Breakfast Casserole is one of our favorites! Salty feta cheese and savory sundried tomatoes nestled among toasted cubes of Udi’s White Sandwich Bread create a hearty breakfast classic perfect for the holidays. Prepare the casserole the night before you plan on serving it for a quick, pop-in-the-oven gourmet meal that is sure to make your holiday be-UDI-ful and bright!
Greek Breakfast Casserole
- ½ a loaf Udi’s White Sandwich Bread, cut into ¼” cubes
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (10 oz) pkgs frozen, chopped spinach, thawed & drained
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
- 10 large eggs
- 2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¾ tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place Udi’s White Sandwich Bread cubes on a baking sheet and gently toast in the oven. Watch closely to avoid burning.
- Lightly oil a 9×13 casserole dish and spread toasted bread cubes evenly over the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sautee’ the onion & garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach & sundried tomatoes & cook until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Evenly spread spinach mixture over top the bread cubes.
- Sprinkle cheeses over the spinach mixture.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, & spices.
- Pour the eggs evenly over the casserole.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the casserole, uncovered for 45-55 minutes, until puffy and golden.
Happy Holidays from all of us at Udi’s!