4 Gluten Free New Year's Resolutions

Gluten Free New Year's ResolutionsIt’s that time of year again…New Year’s resolution time. According to a Forbes article from earlier today, 44% of Americans make New Year’s resolutions. No doubt many of them are focused on weight loss, eating healthier, and focusing on what is important in life. Last year, my resolution was to quit complaining. Let’s just say by March, I had amended that resolution to “limit complaining”.

If you’re reading our blog, gluten free living is likely a key priority for you or something you are considering for the new year. So, as we get ready to toast 2011 away, consider choosing one (or all) of these four gluten-free New Year’s resolutions to try for 2012.

1. Get Familiar With Foods That Are Naturally Gluten Free
    I’ve seen it  said in many comments on our Facebook page or in our new Gluten Free Living community. Starting a gluten free diet can be extremely overwhelming, especially when you start focusing on foods you can’t have. Instead, decide to focus on foods you can have by getting familiar with all of the things that are naturally gluten free. This list of naturally gluten free products from Kroger is a great resource and can help you create your weekly grocery shopping list. Fruits, veggies, meat, milk, rice…the list is longer than you might think.
  2. Try One New Gluten Free Recipe A Week
    It is easy to get caught up in what I call the “gluten-free funk.” Has this happened to you? You rotate the same five meals each week until you’re so sick of chicken and rice that you can’t stand one more bite! The good news is, there are a number of bloggers who post unique and delicious gluten-free recipes each week. Some of our favorites include Gluten Free Girl and the Chef, Discover Gluten Freedom, and Tasty Eats at Home. For 2012, vow to try one new meal per week (or even per month!) to help get you excited about what you’re putting in your body.

3. Join A Gluten Free Group
    Chatting with others who are eating gluten free can help inspire and educate you. If you have celiac disease, I recommend finding a local celiac disease support group. If you’re new to a gluten-free diet or interested in connecting with other people at all stages in their gluten-free quest, check out our new Udi’s Gluten Free Living community and post some comments!
  4. Host A Gluten Free Gathering
    There are many differing opinions about gluten-free diets, especially among those who don’t have to eat gluten free. Finding support from your family and friends can be tricky, but hosting a gluten free gathering at your home can help educate them and shift their opinion about your decision to go gluten free. Make some tasty gluten free appetizers and/or desserts, and have a discussion about why you decided to eat gluten free (whether by choice or necessity). Our snickerdoodle cookies are a quick and easy snack that we guarantee your friends and family will love. Also check out this video for making pizza bite appetizers using our gluten-free bread.

What are your New Year’s resolutions for 2012? Have other tips for gluten free resolutions? Comment below.

8 Responses to “4 Gluten Free New Year's Resolutions”

1. Erika Lamoureaux says:

Hi, I have what it probably a really dumb question…

I have heard lots of discussion about gluten free living and it seems like individual perspectives really run the gamut (even those of people in the medical community). On one hand I hear people say that gluten is not great for anybody so virtually anybody would benefit from a gluten free diet; but on the other hand I have several friends who have Celiac disease who scoff at people who eliminate gluten from their diet “because it is trendy and the ‘hip’ thing to do” and some doctors have told me that unless there’s a medical need there is absolutely no reason to live without it.

What sort of benefits do those who do not have Celiac’s expect from eliminating gluten from their diet?

• Wendy Hofstetter says:

Hi Erika – This is not a dumb question at all! We actually get this question from quite a few of our readers. For people with Celiac Disease, eliminating gluten is absolutely necessary for maintaining a healthy body. Some people have a gluten-intolerance and just feel better when they eliminate it from their diets. For others, we recommend just trying a gluten-free diet for a few weeks to see if you notice any differences. We have heard from some of our Facebook fans that they have more energy and digest foods easier. What we DO know about gluten is that it is an inflammatory, and some people just don’t digest it as well. One thing to beware of is using a gluten-free diet for weight loss. There is no research that says eating gluten-free will automatically make you lose weight. In fact, you can eat gluten-free and still consume a lot of sugar and fat. As with any other diet, it’s about balance. I hope this helps!

2. Bert Pare says:

I suffered from joint pains, back pain, water blisters on my scalp and more, that was so bad that I had to sell my business because of all the pain. I was diagnose w/Celiac disease in August 2004. For me its not a disease, its a blessing, to know I have it. Went totaly gluten free on day one. Grocery shopping took hours, had to use my own dedicated cooking pans, toaster, silver wear, etc.Did not eat out of the house for three years. All those pains went away after about a month of eating gluten free. In 3 years my body was healed and I feel 10 years younger. I’m 64. I never eat wheat or gluten directly but now I do eat out a few times a month (I’m paranoid don’t trust most restaurants) I’m sure I get trace elements on occasions with no ill effect.
    I have better than great will power and my wife, who feeds me, I don’t cook, is the reason for my success. Mainly my wife. Love you Louise. I also gave up sodas just because.
    Bert

3. Dea says:

I loved your suggestion about focusing on what you CAN have, and not what you cannot. That has made it so much easier for me to begin my GF journey. I need to “make a resolution” to try one recipe a day, I like that one. I’ve been scared to branch out from my comfort zone, so the past 6 months have gotten a tad boring. :)

• Wendy Hofstetter says:

I understand how hard it can be to get out of your comfort zone…I’m the same way! Good luck with your new year Dea.

• Honor H says:

I completely agree! I have been gluten free for 4 and a half years. It is great to feel so much healthier. Focusing on the things you can gave gets me through everyday. Even more so knowing what I eat is no longer makimg me feel so awful is enough incentive.

4. Sesaria Ramos says:

I keep hearing about Gluten. What exactly is gluten? I eat wheat bread and also white bread. I interchange the wheat to white every other day, so I wont get sick of wheat bread. Is that ok?
    Thanks.

• Wendy Hofstetter says:

Great question Sesaria. Gluten is the protein that is found in wheat, which means that both the wheat and white bread you mentioned have it. Gluten is a known inflammatory, and we have heard from some of our readers that eliminating it from their diet has given them more energy and made them feel better all around. We create white and whole grain breads without gluten if you’re interested in trying them. You can check out our products here: http://udisglutenfree.com/products.