Peanut Butter Balls {Gluten-Free}

Last week I asked our Facebook fans if they have recipes that are so good, nobody can tell they are gluten-free. From cupcakes to orange chicken, our fans had a number of recipes  that gluten-free and gluten-full people alike enjoy. (If you want to read through the responses to this question, click here.)

After much deliberation, I decided I wanted to share with you one of my “famous” recipes that is just as good gluten (and dairy) free. I say much deliberation, because I wasn’t sure I wanted to give away the secret! Plus, I made the gluten-free version for my family this past holiday season, but told them it was the “regular” version to see if they could tell a difference. They couldn’t! In fact, they still don’t know they were gluten-free. I also tested the gluten-free, dairy-free version on my co-worker Susannah here at Udi’s and she was in peanut butter heaven.

Warning: If you make this recipe and share with friends or family, you will be asked to make it again. And again. And again. Be prepared!

Peanut Butter Balls
Yields 24-36 balls

Gluten Free Peanut Butter Balls

Ingredients

• 2 cups Gluten Free Rice Krispies® (original Rice Krispies® are NOT gluten-free, so be sure to grab the right box)
  • 2 cups creamy peanut butter
  • 1 stick of butter, softened (for a dairy-free version try Earth Balance Vegan Butter Sticks)
  • Up to 1 pound of powdered sugar (amount varies based on test and texture of the peanut butter you are using)
  • Melting chocolate (I typically buy the trays available at most grocery stores. For a dairy-free version you can melt Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips)

Directions

1. In a large bowl, crush Rice Krispies with the back of a large spoon (or crush them in a food processor if you have one available).
  2. Add peanut butter and softened butter to the bowl and mix thoroughly until the Rice Krispies are well incorporated.
  3. Begin adding powdered sugar to the mixture 1/4 pound at a time and stir well. Keep adding sugar until all of it is mixed into the Rice Krispies/peanut butter mixture. The dough should be stiff and should not stick to your hands.
  4. Roll the mixture into small balls and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. (I usually put the balls into a baking pan to store in the fridge.
  5. Heat the melting chocolate according to directions or melt dairy-free chocolate chips in a saucepan over low heat until all chocolate is melted.
  6. Roll the peanut butter balls in the melted chocolate and place on wax paper to dry. Note: if you use dairy-free chocolate chips to coat the peanut butter balls, you may need to place them in the freezer for 20 minutes to set the chocolate.
  7. Enjoy! They go especially well with a cup of coffee or some chai.

I would love to hear if you decide to make these peanut butter balls! Be sure to come back and leave a comment with your thoughts below.

20 Responses to “Peanut Butter Balls {Gluten-Free}”

1. Paula says:

Made these for Valentine’s Day and they were a big hit! I made the original version then I made some with hazelnuts mixed into the dough and some sprinkled on top of the chocolate. I also made some with raspberry flavoring mixed into the dough and chocolate. Next time I’ll add raspberry liquor and save them for the adults! ;-)

• Wendy Hofstetter says:

I love the variations Paula! Those sound delicious. I will have to try those next time around. Although, I’m not sure what my family would do if I changed up their “favorite.” Ha!

2. Lauren says:

I made these today and they turned out FABULOUS! I only needed a little less than 1/2 lb powdered sugar, so I advise adding in a little at a time to make sure they don’t get too dry. I used natural peanut butter, so maybe that affected how much sugar was needed? Thanks for a great recipe!

• Wendy Hofstetter says:

Thanks for the suggestion Lauren! The amount of sugar can definitely vary. In fact, I think I’ll update the post to say that. Thanks again!

3. meryl says:

the recipe doesn’t indicate how much chocolate is needed.

• Wendy Hofstetter says:

It really depends on how many peanut butter balls you use. I typically use 1 tray of melting chocolate or about 9 ounces of semi sweet chocolate.

4. Michelle says:

I made these tonight, only I cut the recipe in 1/4 because if I made the whole thing I’d eat the whole thing! I also substituted with Rice Chex. They turned out so good! Thanks for the recipe!

5. http://getmeglutenfree.blogspot.com/2012/01/peanut-butter-balls.html

I made these Saturday night, SO YUMMY!!! Thank you for the recipe! This will be great for gifts and holidays.

6. Laura says:

Just made them today! Delicious! Thank you for sharing!

7. Rena Huntington says:

Hi Wendy,
    I followed most of the directions, but adjusted a few things. First I found that I really only needed half a pound of powdered sugar. Using a spoon, and then my hand to incorporate it into the butter/peanutbutter mixture. I rolled out 77 balls, put them in the frig to firm up then about 1 1/2 hours later dipped them into chocolate chips I melted in a double boiler. I was having a hard time covering each ball then decided to just dip half of them in the chocolate. I melted a little more than half a cup of chocolate chips and that covered half of each ball.
    My plan for storing them (they are in the frig right now) is to put them in the freezer to get hard, then put them a few in serving size bags so they are easy for the kids and dad to put in their lunches. They taste delicious! -Rena

8. jessi says:

LOVE these! Try adding whole peanuts and mixing melted PB with melted white chocolate for a crunchier version! (Of course…skip the chocolate coating in that case…)

9. Isabella Fortier says:

I’ve been making a non gluten free version of these for years. It was my Aunt’s recipe. Always a big hit! I will try the gluten free version for my gf friends.

10. I just read the recipe, but haven’t tried it yet. I’m wondering why it would need butter (or substitute) with all that peanut butter? I recently found a peanut butter chocolate cookie recipe that doesn’t need any other fat. If it needs it where do you get the Earth Balance butter? Thank you for any help you can give me.
    Phebe

• Wendy Hofstetter says:

Hi Phebe – You could certainly try it without the butter. I’ve never had them without it, so I can’t speak from experience. My local grocery store carries the Earth Balance butter. If you can’t find the sticks, you can always use the spread.

11. Sue says:

I made a ‘Paleo” version of these at Christmas (no rice krispies) and used Almond Butter instead of peanut butter: they were VERY good, and just enough of a different flavor, almond instead of peanuts, to make them really stand out.

12. andrea ronnebaum says:

OMG can’t wait to try these sound amazing!! Do happen to know the nutrition facts? Thank you!

13. Debbie Seymour says:

I had my daughter make these too at Christmas, but used Cocoa Pebbles and my family LOVED them…… and I was able to enjoy them too!!

14. Heather says:

Mmm, my family has a very similar recipe to this that we make every year. I keep intending to make them with the gluten-free Krispies, but the cereal has yet to meet anything but a bowl of milk :).