5 Healthy Gluten Free Snacks

Have you noticed how popular gluten free has become in the past year? Every news broadcast, food-based website, and health-oriented magazine is talking about it and providing advice for those interested. Whether you have to eat gluten free out of necessity or are looking to make healthy changes to your diet, it is important to understand that not all gluten free foods are healthy.

You can find gluten free doughnuts, cookies, and cakes that still have sugars and fats. As with any diet, these foods can still be enjoyed, as long as you enjoy them in moderation. (I am fond of our new dark chocolate brownie bites, which are great as a special treat!)

Lately, I have been seeking healthy snack options to keep my weight and nutrition in balance. Below are five delicious, gluten free foods that are perfect for munching on between meals.

1. Carrot Oat Protein Balls
    I made these bite sized snacks this past weekend to bring with me to work or as an on-the-go breakfast for my commute. Carrots are a great source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, folate, and potassium.1Our Au Naturel granola and the almond flour used in this recipe provide protein to help you stay full. Each ball has 109 calories.Carrot Oat Proetin BallsIngredients:
  • 1 cup of Udi’s Gluten Free Au Naturel granola
  • 2 cups of almond meal
  • 3 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted
  • 1 cup of carrots cooked
  • ¼ cup sliced almonds, crushed

Directions:

1. Grind the granola in a food processor to create an oat flour
  2. Mix the ground granola with the 2 cups of almond meal in a large bowl
  3. Add the baking powder and melted coconut oil and stir until well combined
  4. Add the cooked carrots to your food processor and blend until puréed
  5. Add the carrot purée to the oat/almond meal mixture and stir well
  6. Roll the dough into balls and then roll in the crushed almonds to coat
  7. Place balls on a non-stick baking sheet and cook in the over for 25 minutes at 350 degrees
  8. Remove balls from the oven and let sit for 10-15 minutes and then place in the refrigerator to harden
    Yield:
    24-28 balls

2.  Jalapeños with Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
These spicy snacks are the adult version of “ants on a log.” I eat mine without raisins, but if you need to cut the heat add your favorite dried fruit on top. To make, simply cut jalapeños in half, remove the seeds, and fill with your favorite nut butter. Jalapeños are a good source of antioxidants, vitamins C and E, and contain a substance called capsaicin, which may help boost your metabolism.2 One word of caution: wear gloves or wash your hands immediately after removing the jalapeño seeds to ensure you don’t touch your face and burn your eyes!

Jalapenos with Peanut Butter

3. Plain Greek Yogurt With Cranberry Granola
Greek yogurt, which has a tangy flavor and a thick consistency, has double the amount of protein and half the amount of sugar as regular plain yogurt with the same calorie count.3 Add 1/8 cup of our Gluten Free Cranberry Granola for some crunch and sweetness for only 60 additional calories.

Udi's Gluten Free Granola

4. Fruit and Cheese Kabobs
This snack is a fun idea for both kids and adults! Simply grab skewers (or gluten free pretzel sticks) and add your favorite fruits and cheeses. My favorite combination includes red grapes and Gouda cheese.

Fruit And Cheese Kabobs

5. Toast with Avocado
This snack is quick and easy to make, plus it provides your body with heart-healthy unsaturated fats. Avocados are also a great source of fiber, potassium, and vitamins C, K, folate, and B6.4 Grab one piece of your favorite Udi’s Gluten Free bread (I would highly recommend our new Millet-Chia Bread), toast it to your liking, and place a half avocado on top. Top with pepper or your favorite gluten free seasoning.

Avocado Toast

Have other healthy, gluten free snack ideas to share? Comment below!

Sources

1. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/3026/2
  2. http://www.livestrong.com/article/409721-what-are-the-health-benefits-of-jalapeno-peppers/
  3. http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/diet/articles/2011/09/30/greek-yogurt-vs-regular-yogurt-which-is-more-healthful
  4. http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/8-healthy-facts-about-avocados

17 Responses to “5 Healthy Gluten Free Snacks”

1. I love trying the recieps, the glutien free products have helped me,my diabetes is in much better control . Thanks.

2. Kris says:

My son (& I) love avocado on toast for breakfast. We are so grateful for GF bread that tastes good! Thanks for the recipes. For the people leaving negative comments – maybe the recipe doesn’t sound good but think of ways it might inspire you to try something else. Like peanut butter in jalepenos – I’ve never tried it but it inspired me to try jalepenos stuffed with other things like salsa & cream cheese. Just a thought :)

3. Chloe Boggs says:

Having this can help me improve my list of gluten free snack! Thanks for sharing this one and hope to hear more of it!

4. Justin says:

I love the carrot and oat ball idea. I think I might try shaping them into rectangles though and eating them like a protein bar

5. Nice recipe. I love fruits. Every type of fruit chart & it salads are my favourite. Thanks to you for sharing this.

6. Bill says:

People in Colorado (and I assume much of the southwest) have been eating stuffed jalepenos for years. Primarily as an appetizer at your favorite Mexican restaurant or bar…long before most people ever heard of celiac, or gluten-free.

7. Linda Parlato says:

Love the receipes, need more. My special needs daughter has type1diabetes and celiac. She lives in a group home and we need easy but good. Thank u in advance

8. cthk says:

I think the ALL look great, tho a little heavy on the grains, guess that is because it is sponsored by Udi’s. The think I find most disturbing is all the packaged mixes that have almost no fiber or nutritional value. Haven’t tried the Millet bread yet, but that looks the best of all the Udi’s breads! Will pick some up the next trip.

9. Tim says:

I would agree that these aren’t necessarily kid friendly, but we are always looking for good ideas, and these are good starters! Our little guy is restricted from wheat, milk, and soy so finding new treats can be tricky. My wife and older son have diabetes, so finding low carb snacks is important too. The carrot oat protein balls look like they might be a hit with the whole family! I’ve never thought of avocado on toast, but really with avocado how could you possibly go wrong. Thanks for the idea starters!

10. Jess says:

Those protein balls look delicious! I would love to try a peanut butter version. If I just added peanut butter, would that dry them out? Would it be better to sub in peanut butter for the carrots? Hate to lose out on the carrots, though….any suggestions?

• Wendy Hofstetter says:

Hi Jess – You could definitely substitute in some peanut butter. Maybe you could do half carrots, half peanut butter?

11. New to being gluten free. UDI’S information and food choices have been very helpful in my diet choices and new receipes to try out. Thanks for the tips. I enjoy your site.

12. Wow – the jalapeno ants on a log are blowing my mind. I have to try them just to see what they are like. And I am excited to make the carrot oat protein balls. Do you think carrot pulp leftover from juicing would work in place of the cooked/pureed carrots?

• Wendy Hofstetter says:

Hi Amanda! I hope you get a chance to try the jalapeno ants on a log. They’re delicious! For carrots, I do think leftover carrot pulp would work. If you don’t cook the carrots prior, you’ll get a crunch that you wouldn’t otherwise get. I ate some of these protein balls this morning for breakfast!

13. Heart102271 says:

Uh…. aside from the fruit kabobs, there is NOTHING on this list that my poor little gluten free dairy free child would eat. Some of them, just look gross…. like, Jalepeños and Peanut Butter?!?!? Seriously?!?!? I’d like to video tape the person who is trying THAT for the first time….. I bet it will make for some funny faces. My little one likes to use GF bread and spaghetti sauce with rice shreds “cheese” to make a homemade personal pizza. She also likes baby carrots, apples and peanut butter, banana chips…. oranges….