Healthy Gluten Free Desserts For Summer BBQs
Summer is here and with it comes the requisite barbeques, grill-outs, and picnics. When attending these outside get-togethers keeping to a healthy gluten free lifestyle can be tricky. Is the barbeque sauce gluten free? Do the hot dogs have any wheat fillers? Where are the vegetables and why does everything have butter on it? Navigating these barbequed settings is hard enough when you are gluten free, but making sure you do it healthily can be even trickier. Luckily, we have one part of the meal covered for you, and it is the most important course: dessert.
Below are three healthy treats you can whip up in no time for a worry free dessert to share at your next summer cookout whether hosting or attending.
Strawberry Shortcake Bites
The tangy Greek yogurt in this recipe adds a nice creamy texture and a good dollop of protein that pairs perfectly with fresh summer strawberries.
- 1 pound of strawberries
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup reduced fat or nonfat cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon stevia (or sweetener of choice)
- 3 Udi’s Gluten Free Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Wash and dry strawberries. Cut the leafy tops off and discard.
- Core the strawberries with a small knife and set aside.
- In a small bowl whip together the Greek yogurt, cream cheese, vanilla, and stevia until smooth.
- Using a pastry bag or small spoon, fill each cored strawberry with cream cheese mixture.
- Place strawberries in refrigerator to set.
- In the meantime, using a food processor or blender, blend the Snickerdoodle Cookies into a fine crumb.
- Take strawberries out and dip the tops into the Snickerdoodle crumbs. Place back in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Dark Chocolate Blueberry Clusters
- 1 cup plump blueberries
- 3/4 cup almond slivers
- 1¼ cup dark chocolate, chopped
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, clump together little piles of almond slivers (approximately 1 tablespoon of nut pieces per mound).
- Place a small handful of blueberries atop nuts (approximately 4-6 large blueberries).
- Bring water in a double boiler to a simmer, place dark chocolate in the top and melt until smooth.
- Pour a spoonful of chocolate over each blueberry and nut pile until the blueberries are fully covered.
- Immediately place in the freezer for five minutes.
- After chocolate is set take nut clusters out and enjoy, or place in parchment lined Tupperware to serve later.
No Bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- 1 can (15 oz.) Garbanzo beans
- 1/3 cup almond or peanut butter
- 2- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/8 cup granulated stevia or 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Optional- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- Place all ingredients, excluding chocolate chips and optional nut pieces, in a food processor. Blend until very smooth (approximately 3 minutes), scraping the sides after each minute.
- Once mixture is completely smooth, place into a big mixing bowl.
- Stir in chocolate chips and nuts, if using.
- Place dough into refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Transfer into individual cups or a small bowl for serving.
- Serve with sliced fruit or plain with little spoons.
Comment below and tell us about your favorite gluten free dishes for summer barbeques!