Memorial Day BBQ Bash
I am super excited for Memorial Day this year! Why, you ask? Because THIS year, I will be bringing Udi’s Gluten Free Classic Hamburger Buns to the cookout, and taking a BITEout of Memorial Day!
For years I sat at a picnic table with my fork and knife forced to eat like a lady while everyone around me grabbed life, or maybe it was just their burgers, with their bare hands. I jealously watched them; sticky fingers and messy faces smiling in delight, while I sat with pristine hands and a bored expression. This year will be different! This year, I, too, will eat with my hands, throwing decorum to the wind! This year, I am taking the BBQ back!
My Memorial Day menu shirks traditional burgers for a much tastier option, a Pulled Pork Sandwich! Served with Dairy-Free Broccoli Salad and Red and White Potato Salad, this recipe will be the talk of the party and will win you the love of every guest within smelling distance! As an added bonus, the pork and salads are prepped ahead of time. The day of the BBQ, you will have little to worry about besides reapplying sunscreen and keeping score for the annual Memorial Day Corn Hole tournament!
Crock Pot Pulled Pork
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon unbleached cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 2 (3-4 pound) bone-in pork shoulders
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 cup gluten-free barbecue sauce
- Combine spices and maple syrup and rub all over pork shoulders. Wrap pork in saran wrap and refrigerate overnight or longer.
- When ready to cook, place pork, liquid smoke, and 1/4 cup water in a slow cooker. Cook on low until fork tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove meat from crock pot and shred using two forks, or use your hands if you are feeling particularly “manly”.
- Discard crock pot liquid and any removed pork fat.
- Place shredded meat back in the crock pot, combine with 1 cup of gluten-free barbecue sauce, and continue cooking on low for 30-60 minutes.
- Serve on an Udi’s Gluten-Free Classic or Whole Grain Hamburger Bun!
Backyard Broccoli Salad
- 1 large bunch broccoli
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dairy-free mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Agave Nectar
- 3/4 pound Turkey Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Cut broccoli into bite size florets.
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, onion, and raisins.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dairy-free mayonnaise, vinegar, and agave.
- Pour over broccoli and stir until thoroughly coated.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add bacon crumbles just before serving.
Red and White Potato Salad
- 2 cups Organic Red Skinned Potatoes, cubed
- 1 can Great Northern White Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup Red Onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Dill
- 2/3 cup dairy-free mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Yellow Mustard
- Sea Salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika, for garnish
- Boil potatoes in a large pot of water until tender, about 7-10 minutes, drain, and place in a large bowl with beans, pepper, and onion and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl combine Dill, dairy-free Mayonnaise, and Mustard.
- Pour over potatoes and toss until evenly coated.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Sprinkle with Paprika.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
For dessert, slice open a juicy watermelon and organize a seed spitting contest!