Gluten Free On-the-Go
If you are anything like me, having a snack with you at all times is a necessity. Heaven forbid you become stranded away from your kitchen at lunch time without any gluten free food options to be found! When that happens, you become “Hangry!” You know, that dreaded combination of hungry and angry that turns the sanest of individuals into a snippy, unstable maniac. Admit it; you have been there!
Let’s take a page from a scouting handbook and brush up on our survival skills. Always be prepared! From hiking to a day of errands, these on-the-go gluten free snacks will help you stave off hunger and the dreaded “Hangry Monster.”
- Gluten-Free Snack Bars – Keep one in your bag and a few in the glove box of your car. There are plenty of gluten free options that offer a variety of flavors to keep your palate happy.
- Nuts – Protein is important in a snack if you want to fuel through a hike or a particularly intense day of bargain shopping. Walnuts are a great choice, because they have a significant amount of the omega-3 fat alpha-linolenic acid (ALA).1
- Trail Mix – Whether homemade or store-bought, this sweet and salty favorite is another excellent snack with real staying power.
- Raw Veggies – For a healthy, naturally gluten-free snack, nothing beats carrot sticks, celery sticks, and snap peas!
- ½ a Peanut Butter Sandwich – Spreading a tablespoon of peanut butter on 1 slice of Udi’s Gluten-Free White Sandwich Bread takes mere seconds and is very filling.
All of these snacks can be easily packed in a plastic baggie or container and tossed into a purse or backpack.
For the more culinary inclined, try this recipe for Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Granola Bites using Gluten Free Granola. I like to keep a stash in my freezer at home. Packing 2 or 3 for an emergency snack in the morning is quick, easy, and can be accomplished before my morning coffee!
Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Granola Bites
- 1 ¾ cups Udi’s Gluten-Free Cranberry Granola
- ¾ cup Peanut Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Flax Seed
- 1-2 Tablespoons Almond Milk, if needed
- In a large bowl, stir together first three ingredients until well combined.
- If mixture is too thick, add almond milk 1 tablespoon at a time to thin.
- Scoop by rounded tablespoon into your hands and roll into a ball.
- Place the granola bites into a mini-muffin pan and place in the freezer for 15 minutes, until firm.
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
What are your favorite gluten free, on-the-go snacks?
- www.walnuts.org; Nutrition & Serving Information; http://www.walnuts.org/walnuts/index.cfm/about-walnuts/nutrition-information/