National Sandwich Day – An Homage to a Lunchtime Staple
By: Suzanne W.
Meet John Montagu; 18th century English aristocrat and 4thEarl of Sandwich. This great man was responsible for the invention and popularization of our beloved and oh-so-versatile ‘sandwich’. To commemorate his birth and incredible contribution to society, November 3rd has been deemed National Sandwich Day! This innovative concept came to Montagu while participating in a 24-hour gambling event. Hunger struck and, still needing use of at least one hand, he instructed his servant to bring him meat tucked between two pieces of bread. From that day on the transportable and utterly satisfying sandwich became a lunchtime favorite.
Here at Udi’s we LOVE a good sandwich and, in celebration of John Montagu’s timeless invention, we want to share some of our favorite, deliciously unique, and utterly satisfying sandwich recipes!
John, happy birthday and we owe you one!
Vicky Jean’s Maid-Rite
Makes 2 servings
- 2 Udi’s Classic Hamburger Buns
- 2 lbs lean ground beef or turkey
- 1/4 chopped onion (optional)
- 2 cups Chicken Gumbo Soup
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Mustard
- Sliced pickles for topping
- Brown meat and chopped onion in a skillet over medium heat. Drain grease.
- Add the Chicken Gumbo Soup, ¼ cup of Brown Sugar, ¼ cup of Ketchup, and 1 tbsp of Mustard to the meat mixture. Stir together and let simmer for 1/2 hour (or heat in slow cooker).
- Increase brown sugar, ketchup and mustard to desired quantities after taste test.
- Simply place scoop of the mixture on a bun, add pickles and ENJOY!!!
Udi’s Famous Ice Cream Sandwich
Featured at New York City Wine & Food Festival – Sandwich Showdown
- Udi’s Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Udi’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Lemon Ice Cream
- Blackberry Sorbet
- Vanilla Ice Cream
When preparing ice cream sandwiches for a larger party we recommend scooping out single serving size ice cream balls ahead of time. Place all ice cream balls on large sheet pan and refreeze. This will make assembling the ice cream sandwich a much easier task.
When ready to serve pair the following cookies and ice cream flavors and squeeze together:
- Snickerdoodle Cookies with Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Chocolate Chip Cookies with Vanilla Ice Cream
- Snickerdoodle Cookies with Lemon Ice Cream & Blackberry Sorbet (for this sandwich you must use half of scoop of each ice cream flavor to create filling)
Grilled Portabella Mushroom and Pesto Sandwich
- 2 Slices Udi’s Gluten Free Bread
- 3 or 4 marinated fresh mozzarella cheese balls
- 1 medium to large Portabella mushroom
- 1 Tomato slice
- 1 Tbsp Pesto
- Pre-heat grill to medium. Clean mushroom with wet paper towel and pull off the stem.
- Use some of the marinade from the mozzarella balls and brush both sides of the mushroom. Do the same with your slices of bread.
- Thinly slice mozzarella balls. Slice a tomato (I use one slice per mushroom).
- Take all your ingredients to the grill (including pesto). First grill your mushroom on medium heat about 2 min, then flip. When both sides are grilled, turn the mushroom so that the side that had the stem is up and spread pesto on the mushroom. Add cheese.
- Grill bread on both sides until golden brown. When cheese is melted, put tomato slice on top. Put mushroom between toasted bread. Enjoy!
Recipe compliments of Robert Landolphi, Author of Gluten Free Everyday Cookbook.
- 12 Slices Udi’s Gluten Free Bread
- 6 tbsp Nutella Chocoalte Hazelnut Spread
- 1 Banana, cut into 18 thin slices
- Butter, as needed.
- Place 6 slices bread on flat surface, and spread 1 tablespoon chocolate hazelnut evenly on each one
- Place 6 banana slices on chocolate and top with other slice of bread
- Preheat grill or fry pan to 375 degrees, and coat grill or pan with melted butter
- Place sandwiches in pan and grill until golden browned on bottom, flip over and cook second side until golden brown. Enjoy!
Open-Faced Lox Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 slices Udi’s Gluten Free Bread
- 2 tbsp. Cream Cheese or Dairy Free Spread
- 1 tsp. Chopped Dill
- 3 slices of Lox or Smoke Salmon
- Toast Udi’s gluten-free bread and spread cream choose on top
- Top with your choice of log or smoked salmon
- Garnish with chopped dill
Do you have any unique sandwich recipes!?