Gluten-Free Holiday Survival 101

Written by: Susannah Faulkner. Susannah serves as the Strategic Sales Manager at Udi’s.

The holiday season has descended upon us, menorahs and Christmas trees are out in full force, and you can feel the excitement in the air. The holidays are a time to enjoy the company of family and friends and indulge in everything from sugar cookies to lasagna.

If you have a gluten intolerance or other food sensitivity, we’ve assembled five steps that will ensure that you too will have a super jolly holiday season!

Communicate

• The first time I was invited to my friend’s house for Christmas, I was terrified. I figured I would eat beforehand and gnaw on a few veggies while at the dinner. However, a few weeks before the big day, I decided to call my friend to talk over the menu and discuss which options would be safe for me. She had no problem using Udi’s bread for the stuffing (check out this great recipe here!) and almond milk for the mashed sweet potatoes. I was able to eat like a queen, thanks to just a simple phone conversation.

Know the secret culprits

• Spice blends? Gravy packets? Salad dressings? Cross contaminated dishes and utensils? Make sure to double check all spice blends and sauces, as they can often use flours or other mysterious “natural flavors.” You may want to bring your own gravy and salad dressing to safely compliment your host’s dishes. Check out this super easy gf gravy recipe here!

Create a plan

• Whether it’s Hanukkah, Christmas, or any other celebration, holidays can be hectic. Make sure you have a clear plan of where you are eating and when. This will help the hosts make sure they can accommodate you and, most importantly, avoid cross contamination (a random aunt may just dip into your special gf stuffing without knowing that it’s just for you!).

Start cooking!

• One of the easiest ways to guarantee a flawless and plentiful holiday meal is to bring a dish or two to the celebration. I recommend bringing something that is normally full of gluten, such as a sweet bread or pie. Depending on how ambitious you are this time of year, you can also host the holiday gathering yourself and you’ll be guaranteed a safe and plentiful feast.

Lastly, take time to educate

• While you are blissfully enjoying your gluten friendly meal, make sure to talk to others about your dietary needs. This is a perfect opportunity to raise awareness about gluten sensitivities and explain to your friends and family what it all entails. The more they understand this issue, the better they will be able to accommodate you at future festivities!

Do you have any additional gluten free holiday survival tips?

We hope you enjoy your holidays and that they are filled with the merriment of loved ones and delectable gluten free treats!

12 Responses to “Gluten-Free Holiday Survival 101”

1. roberta says:

Unfortunately, people often don’t think before taking a contaminated utensil from one dish into another. So we just take our meals in seperate containers or on plates we can warm up, then something to share.

2. Darla says:

Toast 1c. of Pecans 1st.2 eggs,,3/4c.br.sugar organic,2/3c.organic pumpkin,3/4c.flaxseed powder,beat all of this,put on parchment paper on a cookie sheet,spread it like a loaf of bread, bake at 360 for 12-14 mins. Cool, I just put no fat whip cream you can turn it into a roll w/whatever you love. p’s’ press the nuts in it before you bake! I bake it weekly, survival snack and not too sweet! Love sharing recipes. Does anyone make sour dough bread, i NEED A RECIPE.

3. Shelley says:

A friend bought some gf gingerbread box mixes at Costco and the cake was delicious!

4. Shelley says:

A friend got boxes of gf gingerbread mix at Costco and gave me some she had baked–it was delicious!

5. Linda says:

I am a celiac and diabetic.
    What do I do ? I am not overweight and exercise regularly. This time of year is very hard for me! I enjoy my friends and always have to bring my own snacks but they never look as good as my host’s food. Anybody out here like me?

6. Dave Spevack says:

How about Udi’s making
    JELLY DONUTS

7. Great tips, Susannah! I just wrote a feature article with similar tips. You can check it out at https://gfreeconnect.com/a-jolly-g-free-holiday.

8. Carol says:

The gingerbread and gingerbread man look yummy, as did the pic in Facebook of some kind of dough put in a cupcake pan and topped with something glorious. Why don’t you share the recipes???

9. Stephanie says:

I always bring a dish that has enough to share. Latkes made with coconut flour were a hit tonight with the friends and kids that came over tonight. Add sour cream or my home made applesauce and nobody feels left out!

10. Carol Herholz says:

I am new to this so it was hard for me to figure out what to do for the family get together. So when it was time to sign up for what to bring my daughter and I just signed up for our favorite dishes and made them all gluten free! That way we could have what we wanted and stayed away from the rest of the dishes!

11. Carol B says:

To always be safe and worry free, I bring my own meal after advising the hostess and it guarantees me a fun filled time with the other guests.

12. Cooky says:

Always eat before going to any holiday event and bring a “snack” in your pocket or purse. There will be drinks so remember hard liquor is often made with barley rye or wheat. Rum is a safe bet as is tequila lol