National Re-Gifting Day – Gift ideas for GF friends & family
By: Suzanne W.
Did you know that the 3rd Thursday in December has been named
“National Re-gifting Day”?
It all started in 2006 when Regiftable.com (created by Money Management International) declared this day to be the pillar of their frugal, money-saving, holiday shopping mantra. However, since its inception it has turned into a great way to get rid of unwanted presents, recycle useless gadgets, graciously donate items to a better suited owner, find that last-minute gift for your office party, or simply stretch your holiday budget.
We’ve taken a liking to this concept of easy holiday saving and have collected some great gift ideas that won’t break the bank and will be perfect for those gluten free folks on your shopping list!
Books & Magazines
Are you gluten-free? Why not pass on those books and magazines full of recipes and ideas that you already have memorized to the gluten-free newbie. You can never go wrong with a delicious collection of allergy-friendly recipes or helpful information on gluten-free living.
Here are some of our favorites:
- Gluten-Free Baking for the Holidays
- The Gluten Glitch – Perfect for kids!
- Gluten-Free Living
- Gluten-Free on a Shoestring – Has 3 great books to choose from
- The Essential Gluten-Free Grocery Guide
Take this opportunity to clean out your fridge, freezer, and pantry. Assemble your gluten-free favorites into a delicious gift basket that will ensure its recipient enjoys a delicious and worry-free holiday. Don’t forget about baking mixes and ingredients! You can even mix your favorite flours to make an amazing (and cheap) gluten-free flour blend perfect for holiday cookies and cakes!
Some edible and gluten-free items you may want to consider are:
- GF Baking Powder (try Bakewell Cream Baking Powder)
- Ancient Grains Flour Blend
- Glutino’s Gluten-Free Pantry Baking Mixes
- GF Baking Yeast (Try SAF’s professional grade yeast!)
- Udi’s cookies and brownies (get them one flavor or all 3!)
Ever bought or received fun kitchen tools or gadgets that you’ve never ended up using? Does your gluten free fried love to cook and/or bake? If so, it’s a match made in heaven. To avoid cross-contamination, gluten free cooks can never have enough dedicated utensils and kitchen toys.
Here are a few of our favorites (just in case you have them lying around):
- Kitchen Scale(digital preferably)
- A necessity for the gluten free baker
- OXO makes a very functional one!
- Airtight Storage Containers
- Great for keeping your gluten free flours and other ingredients safely stored
- Toaster or Toaster Oven
- Especially great as a designated “gluten free toaster” for household that aren’t 100% gluten free.
- Serving & Cooking Utensils
- Kitchen Aid Mixer
- If for some strange reason you have an extra one lying around, we know your gluten-free friend would love one to whip up some treats (for you)!
- Bread Machine
- Again, not very likely you have an extra one. But, if you never use your own, consider passing it on to someone who will make some delicious & fresh gluten free bread with it!
- Cutting boards
- If you’re gluten-free gift recipient is newly diagnosed, it’s important she replaces her old cutting boards with some clean new ones.
Do you have any gluten-free inspired gift ideas?