Start Off the New Year with Small Bites
By: Katie L., Outreach Coordinator at Udi’s
The holidays have come and gone and here at Udi’s we’re taking a little break from comfort foods and decadent desserts. We’re thinking smaller! We’ve assembled some delicious little bites that will keep your stomach satisfied without entering the food-coma danger zone. Whether you eat them as a snack or present them as an appetizer at your next meal, these three recipes will be sure to keep you satisfied.
Bacon, dates and cheese. This delectable appetizer combines sweet, creamy, and bacon—the ultimate combination, if you ask me!
- 10-12 dried dates (Medjool)
- 1 (approx 5 oz) container goat cheese
- 10-12 almonds
- 10-12 strips of uncooked bacon
- Pit the dates and stuff inside with goat cheese. Top goat cheese with one almond per date.
- Fry the bacon, being careful not to over-crisp it (the bacon has to be soft enough to wrap around the dates).
- Wrap one strip of bacon around each date.
- Drizzle with honey, stick a toothpick down the center, and serve.
Gluten-Free Bruschetta (GF, DF)
Bruschetta is a staple appetizer in my house, and it can be made gluten-free so easily that no one will ever know!
- 2 lbs. fresh tomatoes (of any flavorful type)
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, with oil
- ½ a medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, + a little extra to drizzle on top
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Udi’s Gluten Free French Baguette*
*Found at select grocery stores nationwide. If not in your area, substitute Udi’s Gluten Free White Sandwich bread, cut in small circles, with crusts removed. Will generally require 4-5 slices of bread.
- Preheat oven to broil setting.
- Chop fresh tomatoes. In a large mixing bowl, combine with sun-dried tomatoes and their oil, onion, garlic, basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. Liberally sprinkle with salt and pepper, and add a small pinch of cayenne to spice things up a bit.
- Cut 2 Udi’s baguettes into small, thin slices and arrange on a baking sheet. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, being careful not to burn the bread, until golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Top baguette slices with a couple spoonfuls of tomato mixture. Drizzle a little olive oil on top and serve.
Caramel Pretzel Delight
Try this for a dessert-type appetizer or an afternoon snack—great with a sweet dessert wine!
- 1 bag Glutino Pretzel Twists (8oz or 14oz, depending on how many you want to make)
- 1 bag Rolos (or similar meltable caramel chocolate candy)
- 1 bag almonds
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place parchment paper over baking tray, and spread Glutino pretzel twists out in a single layer.
- Place one Rolo candy on top of each pretzel.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, or until Rolos are soft when pressed. Remove tray from oven, and press Rolos down until partially melted over pretzels. Place almond on top. Serve and enjoy!
Do you have any favorite gluten free appetizers?