A Healthy Gluten Free Spin on a Winter Favorite

By: Megan Bauer – Udi’s New Face of Gluten Free Winner

I simply can’t think of anything more comforting on a cold winter’s day than nice steaming bowl of beef stew. It warms you up from the inside out and will fill the house with delicious  soul-warming, aromas! This time a year many of us also resolve to live a little healthier and for this reason I have made a couple of healthy tweaks to my traditional beef stew. Instead of loading up my stew with potatoes, I chose to use a  rutabaga which is lower in carbs and adds a wonderful flavor. Also, thanks to Udi’s classic French Dinner Rolls and Whole Grain Seeded Dinner Rolls,  I can now once again enjoy a nice crusty roll to dip into the stew!

Megan’s Healthy Beef Stew

Ingredients:

• Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs top sirloin cut into bite sized cubes
  • 1 rutabaga
  • 4 Carrots
  • 5 Celery Stalks
  • 1 Medium Onion
  • 1 package Frozen peas
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 TBS cornstarch
  • 2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 TBS tomato paste or ketchup
  • 2-4 32 oz containers of beef broth depending on the size of your stock or crock pot.
  • Beef Stock
  • 2 Tbs Vegetable oil

Directions:

1. Toss the beef cubes in the cornstarch  Then sear them, over high heat, in a large frying pan. You’ll just want to brown the outside of the beef, it is not necessary to cook the meat all the way through.
  2. After that the rest is easy! Simply combine the rest of the ingredients ( minus the peas, if you add them right away they will get mushy) in the crock pot and leave on low for 8 hours.
  3. Add the peas ½ hour before you are going to eat and heat through.
  4. If the base isn’t as thick as you would like you can always add a bit more cornstarch at to thicken it up! ( I usually make a slurry in a small bowl with a few TBS of cornstarch and some of the beef broth to make sure it adds nicely to the stew with no clumps! And don’t forget to check the seasoning periodically throughout the cooking process.

Enjoy!

43 Responses to “A Healthy Gluten Free Spin on a Winter Favorite”

1. veronica says:

I use frenches worcestershire it is gluten free

2. Stacy says:

Surprised no one has mentioned arrowroot powder as a thickener. It is gluten free – made from the starchy tropical root. Works wonderfully as a thickener – just remember to mix it with a little cold water to make a slurry before adding it to hot liquids (it clumps if you add direct to hot liquid). I prefer this to cornstarch as most is made from genetically modified corn and, really, don’t we get enough corn as it is? Lol. Love all the GF thickening suggestions!

3. Jill says:

Re Worcestershire sauce: Lee & Perrins says theirs is gluten-free

4. Jane B says:

@ Oliver Kangas – Holli’s statement is what my Dr at Ohio State University believes. I was eating corn until a couple months ago when my body said “no more”. Listen to your body and ignore all those online because each person’s sensitivity is different. His list of safe flours are potato, tapioca, arrowroot and coconut. Hard to do any baking with just those so I hope my body continues to allow a little rice flour too.

5. I am very concerned about the comment that Holli made about “all grains have some form of glutten”. We”ve been using a gluten free pasta that is corn based so now I am totally confused….can someone comment on the accuracy of her statement? Should my wife stop eating all grains that state they ard glutten free?

6. CMH says:

How much beef stock? And why do I need both beef broth and beef stock?

• Jill says:

This a quote from Scott Adams, founder of celiac.com:
      “as far as we know, corn does not seem to cause harm to celiac patients. “

7. Ainsley says:

Hello! Thanks for the recipe, BUT I’m pretty sure Worcestershire sauce has gluten. At least, that’s what my research has revealed. Can you please clarify if there’s a specific GF brand you used, because I can’t find any GF versions myself.

8. Lynda says:

This stew sounds wonderful, and I love rutabagas! Thank you!

I see many comments about the thickener used. None of you mentioned sorghum flour. It works perfectly for browning meats, and making a roux. It is also less expensive that premixed GF flours.

9. Stephanie says:

Using Rice flour would work, especially if you had a corn allergy.

• Pat says:

Xanthan gum is NOT derived from grain, and has absolutely nothing to do with grain. Xanthan Gum is a soluble fiber produced from the pure culture fermentation of the microorganism Xanthomonas campestris. It is used in the food processing industry as a thickener, stabilizer and emulsifier for a number of different foods.

10. Jeni says:

I use all purpose GF flour with salt and pepper to sear the meat in a little canola oil and chopped onion. As the stew cooks, it will thicken a bit and if needed a rue can be made wit the same flour. By the way, La Choy soy has always been GF.

11. Ellen says:

This sounds great! Wish I’d seen this before I’d gone out yesterday and bought potatoes and other ingredients to make stew to make today. Saving this for next time. Thanks! :-)

12. Holli says:

Gluten-free thickeners can be potato starch, tapioca starch or guar gum. I have used all. I do not use xanthan gum because it is usually made from corn, which is a grain. All grains have some form of gluten. Gluten is a catch-all word for proteins in grains that cause gastro-intestinal sensitivity and celiac disorders.
    Gluten-free flours are almond, coconut, tapioca, fava and garbanzo bean, etc. Nut, seed and bean flours are usually all gluten-free.

13. Marcel Desrosiers says: