Valentine’s Chocolate Red Wine Cake
By: Katrina Morales – Udi’s employee and author of Gluten Free Gidget
Valentine’s Day is a day of love, and what better way to express love than through food? Admittedly, I have a penchant for romantic clichés. Candlelight, red wine, and chocolate…what could be better!?
So, in honor of my favorite Valentine’s Day clichés, I created a recipe that is the perfect end to a romantic meal. Rich and luxurious, my Chocolate Red Wine Cake (served with a dollop of homemade Whipped Cream) will have your heart and your taste buds soaring!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Chocolate Red Wine Cake
- 1/3 cup Oil
- 1/3 cup Organic Sugar
- 1/4 cup Agave Nectar
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 5 drops Vanilla Creme Liquid Stevia
- 3/4 cup Red Wine
- 1/4 cup Vegan Sour Cream
- 1 large Egg
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/8 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup certified Gluten-Free Oat Flour
- 1/2 cup White Rice Flour
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Xanthum Gum
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Plain Almond Milk, if needed.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (350 degrees F for high altitude), and spray an 8×8 baking pan with Non-Stick Cooking Spray.
- In a large bowl, cream together oil, sugar, agave, syrup, & stevia until smooth. Add egg, wine, vegan sour cream, vanilla, cloves, & nutmeg, and beat until smooth.
- In another bowl, whisk together, oat flour, rice flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, xanthum gum, salt, & cocoa powder.
- Slowly beat the dry mix into the liquid until just combined.
- If batter is too thick, add almond milk, 1 Tablespoon at a time. (I added 2 Tablespoon, but am cooking at a high altitude, requiring more liquid)
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and smooth with a spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool before serving.