Easy Gluten Free Baked Meatball Subs

By: Andrea Glenn – Author of A Lazy Girl’s Guide to Living Gluten Free

I have been extra busy at work lately, which is in addition to all the normal craziness I manage to pack in each week. Needless to say, I have not had much time or energy to cook lately, but I still try to have dinner on the table each night, even if it only takes me ten minutes to make. That’s where these meatball subs are perfect. I had some Udi’s hotdog buns in my freezer and a bag of Meijer pre-made frozen meatballs and figured I could make a quick meatball sub that still tasted amazing. These subs took very little time to prepare and even less effort, yet they were very delicious.

You will need:

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a 9×9 inch baking dish.
  2. Place frozen meatballs (no need to thaw) and pasta sauce in a sauce pan. Coat the meatballs by turning them carefully with a spoon. Cook over medium heat until heated through.
  3. Place buns open side up in the greased baking dish. Be careful to keep the buns intact if possible. Put 4 cooked meatballs in each bun and top with remaining sauce if desired. Cover each sub with shredded mozzarella cheese; I probably used more than a cup since I love lots of cheese.
  4. Bake subs in preheated oven until cheese is melted and slightly browning.

Enjoy!

-Andrea

Make sure to stop by Andrea’s blog  Lazy Girl’s Guide to Living Gluten Free for lots of simple and delicious gluten free recipes!

20 Responses to “Easy Gluten Free Baked Meatball Subs”

1. I think the best Paleo diet tips and techniques are here http://twentie.com/paleo A lot of people are benefiting from it.

2. Traci Shrader says:

But the recipe looks great,ill just make and freeze the meatballs before hand. Thanks

3. Traci Shrader says:

According to the meatball website they contain wheat. I just checked.

4. Sheila, again says:

I have never had a problem with crumbling of the buns, but I notice that they don’t stay together well – so I would put cheese in them first with the idea that the cheese might hold the buns together better. We love the taste of these buns so much that we rarely use them for anything except a treat right out of the bag. :-) Will try this next weekend, as we too love cheese – dairy free.

5. Sheila says:

Make your own meatballs and use goats cheese – life is not that difficult – we are gluten, dairy, soy and msg free and we are doing well.
    Please chill on negative remarks – a LOT of gf people are also df.

You could also do this over a campfire. :-)

There are FOUR Udi’s hotdog buns in a bag.

6. Phylis says:

Haven’t tried the hotdog buns but the hamburger buns are wonderful. Can’t wait to try this out on my husband who isn’t even gluten intolerant, but VERY protective of me with my food selections in restaurants. YUM!!’

7. Cyndi says:

Thank you for posting! Your recipes are beautiful and always make me hungry!

8. Florence says:

Can’t find ‘print’ to get the recipe to carry to the kitchen; must have to copy and paste on Word then print?

9. Sue says:

Why should these recipes be made dairy-free? This site caters to the gluten-free site, not the dairy-free site. If you have other issues, that’s YOUR concern, not the concern of those contributing to this site. It’s demanding and lazy to expect that strangers cater to your whims.

10. Hello!
    The meatballs I used in this recipe are Meijer Fully Cooked Microwaveable Homestyle Meatballs and I had no reaction at all (I am very sensitive). I also did contact Meijer and they assured me that these meatballs are definitely gluten free.
    Thanks for the concern and hope this helps!
    Andrea
    A Lazy Girl’s Guide to Living Gluten Free

• Margaret says:

My experience has been that the Udi’s hot dog buns crumbled in my hands when I went to eat them. They’re not as stable as the breads and pizza crusts. I’d LOVE to be able to eat a sub sandwich again, but no such luck.

• Margaret, Have you tried microwaving the bread/buns first? Gluten free bread becomes a little easier to work with if you microwave it for a few seconds.

11. Shari says:

Were the buns defrosted or did you put them in the pan frozen?

12. Alice says:

Just a thought, but aren’t there 6 buns in a bag? So why not use a 9×13 pan, all 6 buns, a full jar of sauce, and 24 meatballs (the meatball math looks wrong to me; 4 buns times 4 meatballs equals 16, not 20…)? Wouldn’t that work better?! Who wants 1/4 jar of sauce and two buns lying around…?!?!

13. Jennifer says:

Please note, almost all frozen meatballs contain gluten. I have not found ANY that meet our needs, dairy, soy and gluten free.

14. John says:

You need to also get the recipes diary free also.

15. Dawn says:

Where do you find frozen gluten free meatballs?

16. James says:

Not all frozen meatballs are gluten free. Here a quick site to provide five gluten free options: http://www.examiner.com/article/5-store-bought-meatballs-without-gluten