Gluten Free Snacks for On-The-Go
By: Katrina M. – Udi’s Team Member and author of the Gluten Free Gidget
It happens to the best of us…
You are going about your merry way, crossing things off your “To-do” list, when it happens… The “Hangry Monster” hits. You know, the feeling? (Hangry- the dreadful combination of hungry and angry that overtakes all rational thought when you become overly hungry.)
I will be the first to admit that I am not a nice person when I am hungry, and learned at an early age to carry a snack with me at all times. As I have grown, my version of “snacks” has changed somewhat. Instead of focusing on mere calories, I try to make sure my go-to snacks have some sort of nutritional value, like protein and fiber.
For a week of healthy snacking, I recommend taking 30 minutes on the weekend to prep and pack your snacks for the week. That way, they are ready to grab as you run out the door. Snacks like:
- Gluten Free Crackers and Hummus
- Carrot & Celery Sticks with Individual Squeeze Packs of Nut Butter
- Raw Almonds or seasoned peanuts/cashews.
- Any type of fruit, such as bananas, apples, oranges, pears, etc.
- You can also freeze fruits such as grapes for a refreshing sweet snack!
I also recommend finding a healthy, non-perishable snack to leave in the glove compartment of your car. My personal favorites are:
- Gluten Free Granola Bars or Protein Bars. Our favorites include: Udi’s Granola Bars, Lara Bars, Glutino Breakfast Bars, and KIND bars.
- Dry Roasted Edamame
- Glutino Pretzel Twists
- Any gluten free cold cereal such as Chex
I was very excited when Udi’s released our new Gluten Free Granola Bars. Not only are they convenient and delicious, but they are enhanced with probiotics, omega 3′s, and antioxidants! They come in three delicious flavors, Cranberry Almond, Chocolate Chop, and Ancient Grain Trail Mix, and can be found at your local, natural food store.
Now it’s your turn! What are your favorite gluten-free snacks on the go?