GF Picnic Tips and Chicken Salad Sandwiches
By: Katie Lampkin, Udi’s Outreach Coordinator
Summer is in full swing, so why not celebrate by grabbing your picnic basket, a blanket, and a bottle of wine (or juice!) and heading to the nearest park!
So, how does one have a successful gluten free picnic? By bringing lots of yummy GF goodies, of course! And don’t forget some of the tried and true picnic essentials:
- Napkins, plates, utensils, and recyclable plastic cups
- A cooler or a cooler bag to keep drinks and food cold
- A comfy blanket to lay on
- A good book or a few magazines
- And definitely don’t forget a few cans of soda or other heavier objects to set up on the perimeter of your picnic to lure away the bees and bugs.
Next, put together your feast! My picnics aren’t complete without chicken salad sandwiches, deviled eggs, plenty of fruit (naturally gluten free!), and some nice vinho verde wine. The Udi’s Gluten Free Picnic Pinterest Board is also a great place to find some delicious meal inspiration for dishes that are easily transportable.
Here is my recipe for my favorite chicken salad!
Chicken Salad Sandwiches (GF, DF)
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 4 lean chicken breasts, fully cooked and cut into small bites
- 1 bunch red grapes
- ½ – 1 cup Earth Balance Mindful Mayo (as needed – can use more or less, depending on your taste)
- 4 stalks Celery
- 1 cup Pecans (can remove these in case of nut allergy)
- 8 Slices of Udi’s Whole Grain Sandwich Bread
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread pecans in a single layer on a cookie sheet and toast for 5 minutes, being very careful not to burn them.
- While pecans are toasting, rinse and slice red grapes in half, set aside. Rinse and slice celery into small chunks – just large enough to give a good crunch. When pecans are done, break them into small chunks as well.
- Mix chicken, grapes, celery, and pecans with 2 cups Earth Balance mayo. Spread on Udi’s bread, throw in a plastic bag – or even better, a reusable sandwich container – and enjoy!
What will you bring on your next gluten free picnic?