Easy (and Fun!) Ways to Give your Daily Routine a Healthy Boost
By: Katie L. – Udi’s Outreach Coordinator
If you’re like me, your day is so full of work and family that you can hardly find time to make a healthy meal, much less get a good work out in! Here are some tips that I use to give my routine a more active, healthy boost.
We can all use a little more activity in our lives, and these are some of the easiest changes you can make that will have the biggest impact.
- Take the stairs, not the elevator. Sure it might take 1 or 2 extra minutes, but you can certainly spare that, right?
- Park in the first parking spot you see, rather than the one closest to the door.
- Use an exercise ball instead of an office chair. This is what the Udi’s crew does, and on any given day, you can walk by our offices to see us all bouncing up and down and stretching.
- Grab some of these handy ankle weights for walking the dog in the morning.
- Bike to work. If you have a safe bike path to your work, this is a great way to add exercise and fresh air to your morning and afternoon routine.
- Go for a walk/run during your lunch break. Grab a coworker or two and explore your office’s neighborhood on a walk or run. This is a great way to get your body moving and clear your head. You’ll approach the afternoon reinvigorated and energized!
Being gluten free, we’re all pretty good at watching what we eat – but there are always things we can improve! By following these simple tips, you’ll be making small changes that can lead to some great big health improvements.
- Make healthy smoothies ahead of time and freeze them. My favorites usually have kale, pineapple, green apple, and ginger root in them, along with a good dose of unflavored protein powder. Vega makes a variety of GF options.
- Switch your traditional spreads to healthier, plant-based options, such as Daiya’s new Cream Cheese Style Spread or Earth Balance’s absolutely delicious Organic Sweet Cinnamon Spread.
- Change your cooking oils and sprays to something more heart-healthy, like olive oil or olive oil blends (try the Smart Balance Cooking Oil, it’s wonderful!)
- Snack right! Clean out your pantry of unhealthy snacks and donate any unopened ones to your local food bank. Then, stock up on the good stuff like baby carrots, celery, sugar snap peas, and tons of fruit. My favorite snacks are usually fruit, cheese, and GF crackers. Maybe even be adventurous and try some of those kale chips that everyone is raving about!
- You should still let yourself indulge once in a while though, so you don’t end up binging later. My mantra is “everything in moderation.” Except gluten, of course (Might I suggest this recipe for Ice Cream Sandwiches when you want to indulge? Yum!)
What are your favorite ways to give your daily routine a healthy boost?