You Got Glutened! Now what?

By: Katie White – Udi’s Outreach Coordinator

We try our best to remain completely free of gluten – we quiz wait staff, call manufacturers, even stick to only a few brands we know and trust. Unfortunately there are times when, in spite of our best efforts, we still get glutened.

All of us have our own go-to advice and home remedies, so after extensive polling and testing, we’ve collected our favorite ones* here. Good luck, feel better, and drink up that apple cider vinegar!

To aid in digestion and calm your stomach:

• Apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tbsp ACV, 1 tbsp honey mixed with a mug of hot water
  • Aloe Juice
  • Chamomile and peppermint teas
  • LOTS of sleep, LOTS of water
  • Ibuprofen/Advil for headaches
  • Fermented foods

Recovery:

• Juices (kale, ginger smoothies)
  • Plain brown rice and vegetables. If your stomach can handle it, add in some plain grilled chicken.
  • Vitamins, digestive enzymes to help your gut heal
  • Tom Kha soup
  • Stay away from other trigger foods for awhile (dairy, coffee, oats, refined sugars, anything high in fat)

*Please note: in emergencies, always refer to your doctor. Our home remedies and advice do not replace a doctor’s orders or advice and are not intended as medical treatments.

What are your go-to treatments when you accidentally get contaminated by gluten?

69 Responses to “You Got Glutened! Now what?”

1. Erin says:

Smoothie – fresh fruit and/or vegetable smoothies. Sleep. Water.

2. Ala says:

Just a reminder of Gramma’s old recipe. APPLESAUCE. :-) Stops the body from purging rectally almost instantly.

3. Yamille P says:

Just learned today from a Chinese lady to help w the detox, soak your bare feet in very hot water with lots of green tea in it. Soak the tea in hot water first then soak feet leave there til water cools. The hotter the better..(but don’t get burn please)

4. Heather says:

I highly recommend eating organic apple sauce (about a jar!), this is a great clean our (or use organic apples raw or baked for a day and fast with them -”apple fasting”). Alternatively you can also purchase at most health food stores Apple Pectin in capsule form. This has magnificent binding effects, it will clean out your colon, drink plenty of water & stay close to home! Follow up any fast with easy to digest, nutritionally dense juices/broths/smoothies easing back into normal dietary preferences.

5. marey says:

I take Alka Seltzer Gold when I get glutened and it helps. I can only find it on Amazon.com BTW.

6. Shelle deV says:

I have both Crohn’s and Celiac so I have a lot of experience. My cocktail is a small can of pineapple juice with one grapefruit seed extract pill, one Vitamin D pill and a probiotics pill. Back to normal within 24 hours.

7. Alleta says:

The BRAT diet – Bananas, rice, applesauce, and GF toast, helps get it out of my system. Benedryl if too much gluten. Three to four days to get rid of the stomach ache & a week or two for the rosacea rash and rash on my legs…sneaky stuff shows up everywhere!

• Julianna says:

Alleta, thank you so much for leaving your comment! I was only diagnosed about a year ago so all of this is still new to me – I’ve been sick the last two days including a rosacea like rash, which has never happened before – your comment just put all the pieces together for me! I’ve been miserable but now that I know what’s going on I can start to use some of these remedies:)

8. Nancy A says:

A Pepto cocktail….mix the little cup that comes with it full of regular Pepto Bismol in about 6 oz of room temp water (purified bottled or spring water is best), stir thoroughly, then slowly sip it. If possible, stand when drinking it and walk around to jump start your system absorbing it from activity. It helps more than anything else I have found.

9. BT says:

Be careful of Advil in liquid gel form, as they are not gluten free. The coated tablets, however, are gluten free. I used to have issues with it, until I figured out that the liqui gels were the culprit (checked with the company). Bad enough if you feel lousy from being glutened, you do not want to make it worse!

10. Rob Cunningham says:

Honestly what works of me is 3 extra strength tums and a Xanax…ha ha. Don’t knock it until you try it…

11. Laura H. says:

I recently discovered Oregano Oil capsules…They are incredible. I take one at the beginning of every meal, just in case. I also take a peppermint oil capsule. The two combined have helped a lot the lastfew times I was glutened!

12. Ann S. says:

When I accidentally eat gluten I have a stomach/intestinal reaction that is pretty severe for about an hour, then take a nap, and am mostly okay afterwards. There’s nothing that stops the vomiting, so I don’t try.

13. Maggie says:

Advil Liquid Gels contain gluten! http://www.advil.com/faqs

14. Katherine says:

How long does it typically take in order to recover or does it all depend on the amount of gluten you have ingested? i am going to try all these…thinking they should be safe also for a child too…right? What do people do when they need to work / school? I know for me, the pain can get intense, and for my child just as well..she has missed a lot of school.

15. I usually know within minutes when I have been gluten poisoned. To almost completely avoid the aching guts, the bloating and gas, as well as to not get that awful headache at all, I go for the brazil nuts. No tricks, no prep required, just relief. I have a few (3 or 4) to begin with and then a couple every hour or so until bed time. Doctor husband says it is the selenium

16. Kathy Kaser says:

I have used about 3 tbs in my water 2 times a day every day

17. Sara J. says:

Thanks for the info. My 11 yo daughter cooks a lot but is so careful. Last week she accidentally gave me the wrong grilled cheese and I didn’t notice. We figured it out after I had eaten most of it. She was so upset! 5 days later, I haven’t had much trouble other than pretty uncomfortable gas. I didn’t know that there was much that could help and was dreading a reaction. This was the first, and hopefully the last time I will be glutened that badly.

18. Jessica says:

I have severe reactions….seizures, heartrates over 190 bpm, boils over body and bloating…. is there anything to curb the initial reaction?

19. Chantalise says:

to Kaeli: yes definitely a large appetite..especially after a particularly bad glutening…

I can generally handle the digestive issues with remedies however the cluster headache that come along with is horrific…any suggestions besides the ice on my head that is the only thing that works? Advil Liquicaps work for regular headaches but won’t touch the gluten ones..

20. Diane says:

I’ve always gone by the BRAT rule: banana, rice, applesauce, toast (GF)