Father’s Day Fake Out
Written by: Mariah K.
This year why not give your Dad the gift of health by planning a delicious gluten-free celebration. You don’t even have to tell him! Take a page from Mom’s book – wait until his stomach is full and he’s asking for seconds before spilling the gluten free beans.
For many families Father’s Day means treating Dad to a decadent brunch. Well what says brunch better than French Toast? Luckily using Udi’s Gluten Free cinnamon raisin bread you can make your French toast without breaking from the gluten free plan. But make sure to let your dad sleep in because if it’s before 10 am that’s just breakfast (and where’s the fun in that!). Below we shared a great recipe that makes whipping up “Fantastically Fluffy French Toast” easier than pie. With this recipe you probably won’t even need to wake up dear old Dad, he’ll be drawn to the kitchen by the sweet aroma. No alarm clock needed! I also recommend brewing a pot of coffee and serving up a side of bacon to round out your home cooked meal. Dad will be nice and full for whatever activity you have planned.
Another classic Father’s Day trope is golf. This year, as always, the US Open closes on Father’s Day. Whether your Dad is a regular Bubba Watson or he just likes to watch the pros, kick back in front of the tube and watch the final round together. Father’s Day is not all about food… That being said, your US Open spectator session could be much improved by some manly munchies. Try the gluten free Pizza Quesadillas (recipe below). They’re guaranteed to make any dad smile even if his favorite pro loses.
Finish out the day with a good old fashioned cookout. Give your Dad a break from his regular responsibilities, and take a turn behind the grill. Serve hamburgers, brats, or hot dogs. Don’t forget the Udi’s gluten free buns to keep on plan! When the meal is over and every last bite has been enjoyed tell your Dad what you’ve been up to. Ask if he had a clue about all his gluten free goodies, and challenge him to keep up his gluten free diet tomorrow!
Happy Father’s Day from all of us at Udi’s!
Fantastically Fluffy French Toast
- 1/4 cup all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 12 slices Udi’s cinnamon raisin bread
- Measure flour into a large mixing bowl
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Whisk in the salt, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla extract and sugar until smooth
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium heat
- Soak bread slices in mixture until saturated
- Cook bread on each side until golden brown
- Serve hot!
Thanks to Janine F. for this lovely recipe!
Gluten Free Pizza Quesadilla
Original recipe by A Lazy Girl’s Guide to Living Gluten Free.
- 4 large Udi’s Gluten Free Tortilla Shells
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 can/jar pizza sauce
- 1+ cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Your favorite pizza toppings; I used onion, green pepper, mushrooms, pepperoni, and sausage
- Spread butter on one side of each tortilla shell.
- Lay two of the shells buttered-side down. Top with cheeses, oregano and your desired toppings. Place the remaining two shells buttered side up on top of the toppings.
- In a large skillet, heat the quesadillas on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, flip once and heat an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat pizza sauce in a small saucepan on medium heat.
- Cut quesadillas into quarters and serve with pizza sauce.