8 Easy Gluten-Free Lunchbox Snacks Your Kids Will Love
Written by: Lisa Cantkier
Back to school can mean back to the drawing board for many parents packing lunches for their kiddos. We want to be creative, but food allergies and intolerances can hold us back. Add in all the ingredients that are (understandably) no longer allowed at school, and we’re far more limited in our choices. Oftentimes appearance makes all the difference. For example, cut gluten-free sliced bread into hearts or other fun shapes. Include crazy straws and silly notes in lunchboxes. We teach our kids not to play with their food, but if that’ll help them eat it, I say run with it.
Here are a few grain-free snack ideas you can play around with:
- Soy butter, seed butter or vegan cream cheese on celery. I still love eating this; it’s a great way to get kids to eat more veggies.
- Banana sandwiches. Slice bananas and spread soy or seed butter between two pieces. You can even add a smear of chocolate spread for a pop of sweetness.
- Chia pudding. There are so many chia inspired recipes out there and they are delicious! Try a chocolate pudding, you don’t even have to use sugar for many of them.
- Homemade applesauce. When you make it yourself you can get sneaky and add in some veggies like kale, broccoli or spinach. Some fresh berries will hide any green colour given off. Of course, don’t forget the cinnamon.
- Dried fruit like banana or plantain chips. Use it in your own custom made trail mix with other ingredients your kids love like gluten-free pretzels.
- Homemade fruit smoothies. Here’s another opportunity to sneak in those veggies. Wake up a few minutes early and make these together with your kids, they love helping out.
- Toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds. You can make these in the oven in a flash. Add a little sea salt and it’s a great mineral-rich treat.
- Kale chips. They’re so easy to bake in the oven, usually 15 minutes or less. Kids are pleasantly surprised by how delicious they taste.
Don’t forget to share your kid-friendly snack ideas below!