Apple-Filled Chicken Breast
4 slices Udi’s Gluten Free bread
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 slices provolone cheese, halved
1 Apple – peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 shallot, sliced
1 cup mayonnaise
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking pan.
2. Toast the 4 slices of Udi’s Gluten Free bread and cut off the crust.
3. Crush toasted bread by placing it in a sealed plastic bag and rolling a glass or rolling pin over the bread to create crumbs. Add salt, parsley flakes, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and basil. Shake well to mix.
4. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut a large pocket in each chicken breast. Cutting close to the smooth side of the breast ensures no holes in the chicken. Place 1 half-slice of provolone inside each chicken, followed by half of the apple slices, and a small amount of shallot. Top with the remaining half slice of provolone.
5. Pull the chicken back together. Coat with a small amount of mayonnaise and then coat with the Udi’s Gluten Free breadcrumbs. Place stuffed breasts on baking pan.
6. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until no longer pink, and juices run clear.
7. While the chicken bakes, you may start your sauce. In a double boiler over lightly simmering water, combine the egg yolks and sugar. Beat until the yolk lightens and froth forms. Slowly add the wine, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the pecans and vanilla. The sauce looks nice served under the chicken with a small amount drizzled over it.