Caramelized Leeks and Herb Stuffing
Recipe by Chef Liz Alexanian, Cook LA
- 6 cups Udi’s Whole Grain Bread, toasted until dry
- 1 pound Chorizo or Sweet Italian Sausage, casings removed
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 tart (Granny Smith) apples peeled, cored, and chopped into bite size pieces
- 6 cups leeks, white parts only, sliced into ¼-inch to ½-inch rounds
- 2 cups celery, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ cup dried apricots, soaked in water and chopped
- ¼ cup dried black currants, soaked in water
- 4 teaspoons Knorr chicken bouillon (GF product)
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 1/3 cup chicken stock
- Salt and White pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pan, cook sausage until browned and crumbled.
- Remove from pan, set aside, and drain grease with a paper towel.
- In the same pan, melt the stick of butter and add the apples, celery, leeks, and poultry seasoning. Sauté until vegetables soften and start to brown, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Add the rosemary, sage, garlic, apricots, black currants, and cooked sausage, mix all ingredients together well.
- Break bread into bite-size pieces. Stir in the dried bread until combined.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour chicken stock over all to moisten.
- Bake in a buttered casserole dish, covered, for 35 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes on the top rack of the oven to brown the stuffing.