Caramelized Onion Savory Bread Pudding
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup whipping cream
4 large eggs
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
5 slices Udi's Gluten Free White Sandwich Bread, crust removed and cut into 1 inch pieces
Butter for coating
Fresh chive tips for garnish
1. In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat, then add olive oil.
2. Add onions and garlic; cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Add sugar and cook until onions are browned and caramelized, about 5 minutes more. Set aside.
4. In large bowl, whisk cream and eggs to blend. Whisk in ricotta, Swiss cheese, salt and pepper.
5. Stir in onions to blend. Add bread cubes to mixture and stir until bread is moistened.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes while oven is heating.
7. Generously butter 8 ramekins or a large 3 quart baking dish. Transfer mixture to prepared dish(es).
8. Bake pudding until knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
9. Garnish with chive tips.