Caramelized Onion Savory Bread Pudding
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 5 slices Udi's Gluten Free White Sandwich Bread, crust removed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- Butter for coating
- Fresh chive tips for garnish
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat, then add olive oil.
- Add onions and garlic; cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and cook until onions are browned and caramelized, about 5 minutes more. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk cream and eggs to blend. Whisk in ricotta, Swiss cheese, salt and pepper.
- Stir in onions to blend. Add bread cubes to mixture and stir until bread is moistened.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes while oven is heating.
- Generously butter 8 ramekins or a large 3 quart baking dish. Transfer mixture to prepared dish(es).
- Bake pudding until knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with chive tips.