Dulce de Leche Banana Cream Pie
Recipe courtesy of Silvana Nardone For the crust:
- One package Udi’s Gluten Free Snickerdoodle Cookies, plus more, crumbled, for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Pinch salt
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pint cold heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup dulce de leche
- 2 medium bananas, sliced on the diagonal about ¼-inch thick, plus 1 slice for topping
Make the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a food processor, process the cookies until fine crumbs form.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cookie crumbs, pinch of salt and butter until combined. Press the mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan; freeze until set, about 20 minutes. Lightly brush the beaten egg white on the pie shell and bake for 15 minutes; let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the milk and vanilla to a simmer. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and salt until thick and smooth. Whisking constantly, add about ¼ cup of the hot milk mixture to temper the eggs. Gradually whisk in the remaining milk until combined; return to the saucepan and cook, whisking constantly, over low heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter until smooth. Let cool slightly, stirring occasionally. Using a sieve, strain the cream, if necessary, into a medium bowl and cover the surface directly with plastic wrap; refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours.
- Beat the cold whipping cream with the confectioners’ sugar, sour cream and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Spread the dulce de leche evenly over the cooled pie shell. Top with 2 layers of bananas.
- Beat the cold custard with a whisk until smooth; spread evenly over the bananas.
- Refrigerate overnight, covered, or to serve, top decoratively with the whipped cream topping, sprinkle with cookie crumbs and top with the banana slice.