Easy Gluten Free Fried “Pies”
Original recipe by Wendy from Around My Family Table
- 2 slices Udi’s Gluten Free Millet-Chia Bread
- 1/2 tsp natural peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- 1/2 tbls mini chocolate chips (or my favorite dairy free brand)
- 1/2 tbls sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tbls dairy free “butter”
- powdered sugar, cocoa powder opt
- Carefully, remove crusts from each slice of bread. Spread a very thin layer of peanut butter on one slice of bread. Top peanut butter with chocolate chips and coconut. Press second slice of bread onto the first to create the “pie”.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium high heat. Once butter is melted, add pie to butter and gently fry for about one minute pressing gently with a spatula to help the bread stick together. Then flip the “pie” over and continue frying and gently pressing on the second side. Pie is done when both sides are lightly browned and all the butter has soaked into the bread.
- Remove from pan, cut at an angle and top with powdered sugar and cocoa powder before serving.
- Only make one or two at a time.
- This hack really does get the bread to taste almost like a fried pie.
- Make sure to take the time to cut off the crusts, then after filling the inside, pinch the sides gently together. It helps keep the filling inside while frying, but it doesn't seal shut.
- Yes, that is a lot of butter in the pan; however, it is necessary to get that buttery flavor. It soaks all the way through both slices of bread so the inside becomes a moist and creamy middle with a crunchy outside.
- By the time both sides have soaked up the butter it starts to brown on the outside. Make sure sprinkle with powdered sugar right when it come out of the hot butter.