Garden Sandwich with Hummus, Vegetables, and Feta
for the hummus
- 1 1/2 cups cooked (or canned) chickpeas
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 red bell peppers
- 8 slices Udi’s Gluten Free Omega Flax and Fiber Bread
- 1 heirloom tomato, sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced thin
- 4 ounces feta cheese, sliced
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor, combine chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, paprika, garlic, and salt. Puree until smooth. Taste and add any additional salt if needed.
- With your hands, rub olive oil over the bell peppers and place on a baking sheet. Place under the broiler until the skin is blistered and blackened, flipping with tongs to ensure the whole pepper is blistered. Once blistered and blackened, transfer the peppers to a paper bag and seal — this will make peeling easier. Remove the peppers after five minutes and peel the blackened skin off and discard. With a knife, slice the top off of the peppers and remove the seeds and stem. Slice the peppers in half.
- Toast the bread in a toaster or on a baking sheet in a 400°F oven until lightly golden on both sides. On 4 slices of toast, spread 2 to 3 tablespoons of hummus on each slice. Top with a slice of roasted bell pepper, a few slices of cucumber, a slice to tomato, feta cheese, a large pinch of mint, a pinch of salt and pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. Top with remaining slices of toast and serve.