Northwest Open-Face Grilled Fish Sandwiches
- Sockeye Salmon Fillet, thawed or fresh(½ pound per person), cut into 4 oz steaks (about 2” x 3” x ½”)
- Several Udi’s Gluten Free Bagels, sliced (one full bagel per person)
- 1 TBSP Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBSP Balsamic vinegar
- 1 TBSP Chardonnay (or other good white wine)
- 1 TBSP Hoisin sauce
- 1 TBSP honey 2 good grinds of black pepper
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper (OPTIONAL: for those who like it hot.)
- Whisk this all together in a flat-bottomed bowl
- 1 avocado, fork mashed
- 6 or 8 Spanish olives, minced finely
- 3 TBSP sweet onion, minced finely
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Mash it all together in a bowl
- Marinate the salmon steaks in the marinade sauce. Give ‘em no less than 15 minutes; an hour is not too much.
- Heat up the grill (I used a George Foreman grill; a barbecue would work well). When it’s hot, put the fish on the grill. (Turn them at the appropriate time if you’re on the barbecue.) Spoon some more marinade on them. Cook them until they’re done all the way through: light and flaky.
- While they’re grilling, heat the marinade in a small saucepan. Reduce the mixture by approximately 50%.
- When the fish is done, cut into ½” x ½” (x 2” or so) strips, and load back into a clean bowl with the reduced marinade. Coat the fish thoroughly.
- While this is soaking (the second time), oil the bread & toast it. When it’s done, spread the avocado green mix on the Udi’s Gluten Free bagel, and pile on the soaked salmon.
- Garnish with coarse salt (it’s crunchy!), and/or a bit of fresh parmigiano reggiano.
- Enjoy with the rest of the Chardonnay.