Spinach Artichoke Sandwich Melts
Recipe by: A Lazy Girl's Guide to Living Gluten FreeSince gluten free bread can be quite expensive, or time consuming to make, I don't tend to eat it very often. Typically, I keep a loaf or two of Udi's bread in the freezer just in case the sandwich mood strikes, or if I come across a delicious recipe idea such as these spinach and artichoke sandwich melts! What's not to love about one of my favorite dips melted between two toasted slices of bread. Definitely going to have to make these again. You will need:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Gluten Free Multi-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup milk (or more)
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or greek yogurt)
- 1 (6.7 ounce) jar artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 loaf of Udi's Millet-Chia Bread (or your favorite GF bread)
- Butter, for spreading
- Melt the butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for about a minute. Whisk in the flour until a paste forms; lower heat and stir in the milk. Cook for a minute or two adding more milk if the paste becomes too thick.
- Add all cheeses and pepper and stir until cheese is melted, about one minute. Stir in the sour cream (or greek yogurt) until mixture is smooth.
- Fold the spinach and artichokes into the cheese mixture until well blended.
- Heat a separate large pan on medium-low heat. Butter the outsides of each slice of bread, spread the non-buttered side with 2-3 spoonfuls of spinach mixture (until well coated to your liking), and top with another slice of buttered bread, buttered side out. Cook sandwich in the heated pan, grilled cheese style, until each side is golden brown and crispy. Repeat for each additional sandwich.