Spring Rolls with Crab and Spicy Mango Sauce
Recipe adapted by Bonita S. (Udi's New Face of Gluten Free) from The Gluten-Free Asian Kitchen by Laura B Russel.For rolls:
- 3 oz. dried rice vermicelli (You can also use "Tinkyada" PastaJoy, White Rice Pasta spaghetti style)
- 3/4 lb. cooked (real) crabmeat
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 sm. red bell pepper, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 c. shredded daikon radish
- 1/2 c. loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 c. loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 Tab. Asian Fish sauce
- 16 rice paper wrappers
- 1 1/4 c. diced fresh or frozen mango
- 1/4 c. loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 Tab. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tab. grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tab. vegetable oil (Try using sesame oil!! YUM)
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeds and ribs removed and cut up well! (be careful because they can quickly become HOT!)
- 3/4 t. salt
To make rolls:
- Boil the noodles (break them into thirds) as per pkg. directions, rinse and drain well.
- Add crab, carrots, bell pepper, lettuce, radish cilantro and mint and toss until well combined. Add lime juice and fish sauce and toss again.
- Fill a large bowl with warm water. Put 2 of the rice paper wrappers in the water for a moment and then place onto a folded terry towel. Spoon out about 1/3 cup of the filling and wrap, sides in, bottom up and then roll to finish. You may want to put the red peppers down first (rather than putting them into the mix) to make it easier to roll. You could also add matchstick cucumber slices and boiled shrimp and a mint leaf or two, so that it peaks through the opaque wrap
- To plate, place one of the Boston Lettuce leaves on plate and top with your beautiful roll!