- 1 C unsalted butter plus more for baking dish
- ¾ loaf of Udi’s White Bread torn in 1” pieces
- ¾ loaf of Udi’s Whole Grain Bread torn in 1” pieces
- 1 bunch of red swiss chard Center ribs and stems removed and cut into 1/2 “ pieces leaves torn
- 2 ½ C chopped yellow onions
- 1 ½ C ¼” sliced celery
- ½ C dry white wine
- ½ C chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbl chopped fresh sage
- 1 tbl chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbl chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ½ C low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbl olive oil
- 15 dates
Prep time: 30-45 Minutes. Cook time: 50 minutes. Servings: 8.
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Butter a 13x9x2" baking dish and set aside.
- Soak dates in 1 cup of broth for 30 minutes
- Scatter bread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake, stirring occasionally, until dried out, about 1 hour. Let cool; transfer to a very large bowl.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onions, celery and swiss chard stems. Stir often until just beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add to bowl with bread; stir in herbs, salt, and pepper. Drizzle in 1 1/4 cups broth and toss gently. Let cool.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook wine in skillet, scraping up any browned bits, until almost all evaporated, about 1 minute. Add ½ cup butter; cook, stirring, until melted. Add swiss chard leaves until wilted. Drizzle over bread mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk 1 1/4 cups broth and eggs in a small bowl. Add to bread mixture; fold gently until thoroughly combined. Transfer to prepared dish, cover with foil, and bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of dressing registers 160°F, about 40 minutes.
- Bake dressing, uncovered, until set and top is browned and crisp, 40-45 minutes longer (if chilled, add 10-15 minutes).