Udi’s Fennel and Chicken Sausage Stuffing
- 1 (7.41-ounce) package Udi’s Classic French Dinner rolls, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 12 ounces chicken-apple sausage, halved lengthwise then chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, cored and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 3 large eggs
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 2-quart baking dish, set aside.
- Toast bread on baking sheet until golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes, tossing bread halfway through.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add sausage and cook until caramelized, about 6 minutes; remove from pan and set aside. In same skillet, add butter, fennel, onion, thyme and sage. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, until softened, about 12 minutes.
- Whisk broth and eggs in large bowl. Add bread, sausage and fennel mixture, season with salt and pepper, gently toss to combine. Pour into prepared baking dish. Cover with foil and bake, 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake 25 minutes more, until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.