Joy Mission: Question #3

Do certain smells or foods ever remind you of childhood? We want to hear about it with today’s question. Leave your response as a comment and you could win one of 10 Udi’s Holiday Essentials Kits we’re giving away. Help spread the joy by telling your friends and family!

Question #3

Note: Comments may take a while to appear. Please only submit your comment once. To read more about the prizes and for official rules, click here.

WINNERS LIST

1. Janette C. – My grandmother’s homemade potato soup. It was and still is so yummy!
  2. John B. – I’m Greek, and my mother always made the most fantastic meals for Greek Easter–all the traditional dishes
  3. Mary P. – Thanksgiving was my favorite. My Grandmother had everyone over and she made everything from soup to dessert. She made the best Italian Sausage Stuffing in the world.
  4. Anne D. – My Mom would make creamy chicken and Mushroom crepes. They were insanely good!
  5. Monica C. – Living in Buffalo, NY….we have a General Mills factory. When they burn a batch of Cheerios, you can smell it all over the city. It smells like a fresh bowl of Cheerios. Cheerios was my favorite cereal as a kid.
  6. Megan F. – Cinnamon rolls from the can the pillsbury kind…they are soooo good and a sunday tradition…or were a sunday tradition :)
  7. Suzanne R. – Home made chicken noodle soup!
  8. Aaron A. – This question made me fondly remember a rice & cheese casserole my mom used to make for me. Kind of like Mac & Cheese for a celiac kid in the ’70s. It’s better in some ways.
  9. Angela J. – Tacos on homemade tortillas = yum!!
  10. Ivy G. – A leftover hodgepodge pasta primavera that my mom would throw together at the last minute. Not too high class but I would fish out all the broccoli.

666 Responses to “Joy Mission: Question #3”

1. Glenda Zahn-Burell says:

My father and I had a father/daughter day about once a month, and it was on those days that he and I would make chocolate fudge. I have the most wonderful memories o’ me standin’ on a chair next to him, spoon in hand as we stirred. he has been gone nearly 30 years now, but he lives forever everytime/when me son and I make chocolate fudge, or anytin’ actually, in the kitchen.

2. Jolena Sloane says:

The best smells of my past are kasha and home made rice bow-ties with real chicken fat, onions, garlic and roasted brisket. Ummm.

3. jessica mcgregor says:

Chicken rice and mushroom.

4. Christine G says:

Christmas cookies, especially gingerbread. Why can’t that be a meal?

5. Janet Moore says:

My mother used to fix us cocoa and toast. I used to miss S.F. sour dough bread but your bread tastes so much like that. Also my mom’s homemade mac and cheese with cottage cheese was always a hit.

6. Karen says:

Chicken & Dumplings. And now that I know I can use Udi’s Pizza crust for the dumpling, I’m making them soon!!!

7. traci washburn says:

Orange Danish rolls on christmas morning

8. Cassie says:

chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and gravy. Though I can make the chicken fried steak (my kids don’t eat crust, so I dry them out and make my own Udi’s bread crumbs), I haven’t found a really good replacement for the gravy.

9. Maria says:

Lasagna with homemade noodles and homemade Italian bread…of course that was before I became GF

10. Jacqui Barnes says:

My Amazing Grandmothers Italian Red Gravy….she is straight off the Boat from Sicily. She was one of the FIRST people to EVER be diagnosed with Celiac Disease 20 years ago and at that time they called it SPRU! It was because of her we understood when my daughter presented with signs and symptoms of celiac disease we knew. She now makes the BEST version of italian Pizzela’s, Biscottis…u name it! ALL Gluten Free!
    Gram and my daughter are BOTH big fans of UDI’s!!!

11. Karen Bridges says:

Macaroni and CHEESE!!!

12. Elissa says:

All things food.

13. PF Anderson says:

Lasagna. I wrote poems about my mother’s lasagna for my 6th grade creative writing assignment. We had lasagna for Christmas a lot of years. Perfect. I miss that so much.

14. Mary Kane says:

Roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans w/ onions, and dinner rolls at my Aunt Del’s house. um num num!

15. Beth says:

My favorite meal was my dad’s banana pancakes with homemade applesauce on top.
    I make them for my children but I add chocolate chips. I always make my son’s gluten free pancakes before everyone else’s gluten-filled pancakes. That way there is no cross contamination.

16. Debbie says:

Scalloped potatoes and ham with carrots that my mom made me every year on my birthday.

17. Allison says:

When I became vegetarian as a kid, my mom used to make this delicious pasta dish with spinach, feta cheese, and just the right blend of spices. I knew I’d learned right when I could make the same one, with brown rice pasta, and my own fresh spices with her approval!

18. Ann says:

My Mom’s mac and cheese & also her lasagna!

19. Margaret Clegg says:

It’s adish that my dad created where he mixed 2 boxes macaroni and cheese (this was pre-diagnosis), Veg-all and canned Spam. It probably sounds gross, but it’s a dish I think of fondly.

20. tracy says:

well besides all the wonderful holiday food my mom would cook for us, I think her Shepard’s Pie was one of my favorites and that I always looked forward to her making us.