Cold Weather Comfort Foods
By: Katrina M.
Every winter the cold weather and dark evenings make me crave soul warming, nostalgic, comfort food. Snuggling under a warm blanket to watch A Charlie Brown Christmas, while wearing fuzzy socks and sipping hot chocolate… is there anything better? And, what pairs better with fuzzy socks than a hearty slice of Shepherd’s Pie?
With a little tweaking, I have recreated three gloriously delicious gluten free versions of favorite comfort foods! It’s time to turn on the holiday tunes and preheat your ovens, because comfort food is back on the menu! Hooray!
- 4 large Yukon Gold Potatoes, skins left on & cut into quarters
- 2 Tblsp Tofutti (Better than Sour Cream)
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk, warm
- Black Pepper & Sea Salt, to taste
- 1 lb Ground Buffalo
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Zucchini, chopped
- 1 Yellow Squash, chopped
- 1-2 Carrots, chopped
- 1 cup frozen Peas, thawed
- 2 Tblsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- dash Curry Powder
- splash Red Wine
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (or 350 for those of you who aren’t 1 mile above sea level!)
- Place potatoes in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Boil until tender.
- Place potatoes in a heated bowl. Using an electric mixer, blend until smooth-ish.
- Add tofutti, almond milk, salt, & pepper. Blend until smooth. Adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook buffalo until no longer pink. Drain 7 set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute onion & garlic until soft.
- Add remaining vegetables & saute 5 minutes until soft.
- Return cooked ground buffalo to the pan & add all remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a slight boil & simmer until liquid reduces slightly.
- Place buffalo mixture in a 9×13 casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes, until bubbly & heated through.
- Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving and Enjoy!
Gluten Free French Toast
- 4 slices Udi’s Millet-Chia Bread
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Plain Almond Milk
- 1 large Egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp Agave Nectar
- 1/2 tsp pure Vanilla Extract
- pinch Salt
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Butter Substitute (I like Earth Balance)
- pure Maple Syrup, warmed for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. (400 degrees for high altitude)
- In a measuring cup, combine the almond milk, egg, agave, vanilla, and salt. Pour into a shallow 8×8 pan.
- Soak bread in the almond milk mixture, 30 seconds per side.
- Meanwhile, melt butter substitute in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Toast bread in the skillet until desired doneness, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Place toasted bread directly on the rack in your preheated oven, and cook about 5 minutes longer.
- Serve with warm maple syrup.
Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 large Egg
- 1 cup Sugar, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 cup Peanut Butter
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. (375 degrees for high altitude)
- In a bowl, combine 1 egg, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup peanut butter until smooth.
- Form dough into ping-pong size balls and roll each ball in the extra 1/4 cup sugar.
- Place dough balls on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake about 9 minutes.
- Cool 3 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.