Fool Your Tastebuds; Pizza-Lasagna That No One Will Guess is GF!
By: Megan Bauer – New Face of Gluten Free
April Fool’s Day is widely known for practical jokes, hoaxes, and other foolishness. Although its origins are unknown, this ‘holiday’ has been adopted world wide as the day when it’s okayto play a trick or two on each other. In the spirit of April Fool’s we want to share a recipe that will ‘fool’ your taste buds. Serve this for dinner and no one will know they’re eating gluten free!
Only a couple of weeks into my gluten-free adventure, a serious lasagna craving hit me. Luckily, after doing some research, I realized that all I had to do to make this recipe gluten free was to substitute rice noodles for regular lasagna noodles. Keep reading for one of the best lasagna you’ll ever have.
- 1 jar of Newman’s Own tomato basil sauce
- 1/2 pound of sweet Italian sausage
- 1 small container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup of mini turkey pepperoni
- 2 cups shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of nutmeg
- DeBoles Rice Lasagna (No Boil, Oven Ready)
- Start by sauteing the sausage. Once it’s browned and cooked, add the mini pepperoni and quickly cook until slightly browned.
- In a separate bowl combine the ricotta cheese, egg, Parmesan, salt and pepper, and nutmeg.
- Now it is time to assemble the lasagna!
- Something I quickly learned about using the rice pasta is to make sure every inch of the noodles is saturated with tomato sauce. This will allow it to cook properly and not end up too firm.
- You can choose to layer the lasagna to your own preference. I like a nice cheesy layer between two big meaty layers. If you want to reduce carb count, simply use less pasta layers and increase your filling. The sky’s the limit on this one!
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until nice and bubbly brown.
- Now, enjoy!
Do you have a recipe no one would ever guess is gluten free?