You Got Glutened! Now what?

By: Katie White – Udi’s Outreach Coordinator

We try our best to remain completely free of gluten – we quiz wait staff, call manufacturers, even stick to only a few brands we know and trust. Unfortunately there are times when, in spite of our best efforts, we still get glutened.

All of us have our own go-to advice and home remedies, so after extensive polling and testing, we’ve collected our favorite ones* here. Good luck, feel better, and drink up that apple cider vinegar!

To aid in digestion and calm your stomach:

• Apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tbsp ACV, 1 tbsp honey mixed with a mug of hot water
  • Aloe Juice
  • Chamomile and peppermint teas
  • LOTS of sleep, LOTS of water
  • Ibuprofen/Advil for headaches
  • Fermented foods

Recovery:

• Juices (kale, ginger smoothies)
  • Plain brown rice and vegetables. If your stomach can handle it, add in some plain grilled chicken.
  • Vitamins, digestive enzymes to help your gut heal
  • Tom Kha soup
  • Stay away from other trigger foods for awhile (dairy, coffee, oats, refined sugars, anything high in fat)

*Please note: in emergencies, always refer to your doctor. Our home remedies and advice do not replace a doctor’s orders or advice and are not intended as medical treatments.

What are your go-to treatments when you accidentally get contaminated by gluten?

69 Responses to “You Got Glutened! Now what?”

1. Amber says:

I find that flushing my body out by drinking tons of water and getting some sleep really helps. Just be prepared to make many bathroom trips because of the water!

2. Norm Nussbaum says:

I love all these remedies/suggestions……Here is something that I have been using for a long time and I get it through Swanson Vitamins, it’s called BioCor DPP IV,
    gluten-peptide digesting enzymes…….

3. Denishia says:

The suggestion you gave for taking ibuprofen when you’ve been “glutened” is sadly a TERRIBLE one. Ibuprofen actually aids gluten in doing it’s damage by allowing gluten to pass more freely through your intestines…. And having gluten issues there’s already intestinal issues as well…. Any NSAID isn’t good when glutenized as I call it.

4. Jonathan says:

I like a all natural ginger ale, such as natural brew, Blenheim, or red rock.

5. terri says:

MSM is amazing for gluten reaction..it is a natural anti inflammatory. .i take it in powder form 1-2 x a day as my body seems to absorb it better..i put 1/2 to 1 tsp in 1/2 cup of water in the morning…stir it up real good and drink..followed by additional water to flush the aftertaste.

6. Larry says:

I’ve been diagnosed via an endoscopic pathology report but I have not had nor did I before have any of the major symptoms of gluten contamination. Well four or five times I’ve had very mild diarrhea after eating at a restraint but never at home. So I don’t have to take anything to calm my digestive tract. I am one of the luck ones

7. Sue says:

Thx for the remedy ideas. I just got glutened a few hrs. ago. Wish I’d known to buy applesauce at the tiny mini- mart in town.

Just learned that huevos rancheros don’t always come on corn tortillas. Sometimes they put flour tortillas under ‘em, so you have to specify that you want corn tortilla under your eggs, too, n not just w/ your meal.