You Got Glutened! Now what?

By: Katie White – Udi’s Outreach Coordinator

We try our best to remain completely free of gluten – we quiz wait staff, call manufacturers, even stick to only a few brands we know and trust. Unfortunately there are times when, in spite of our best efforts, we still get glutened.

All of us have our own go-to advice and home remedies, so after extensive polling and testing, we’ve collected our favorite ones* here. Good luck, feel better, and drink up that apple cider vinegar!

To aid in digestion and calm your stomach:

• Apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tbsp ACV, 1 tbsp honey mixed with a mug of hot water
  • Aloe Juice
  • Chamomile and peppermint teas
  • LOTS of sleep, LOTS of water
  • Ibuprofen/Advil for headaches
  • Fermented foods

Recovery:

• Juices (kale, ginger smoothies)
  • Plain brown rice and vegetables. If your stomach can handle it, add in some plain grilled chicken.
  • Vitamins, digestive enzymes to help your gut heal
  • Tom Kha soup
  • Stay away from other trigger foods for awhile (dairy, coffee, oats, refined sugars, anything high in fat)

*Please note: in emergencies, always refer to your doctor. Our home remedies and advice do not replace a doctor’s orders or advice and are not intended as medical treatments.

What are your go-to treatments when you accidentally get contaminated by gluten?

69 Responses to “You Got Glutened! Now what?”

1. Kiri says:

I call it getting “GLUTENIZED!” That word better personifies the ill effects I experience within 15 min of gluten-induced intestinal destruction! Weak stomachs beware: My remedy is to immediately pop 3 extra strength gas relief gel caplets and an Advil for abdominal pain, pull out the Spanx to hold back my 6 months pregnant fake gluten baby belly, chug some ginger ale, and start counting the days since my last bm to approximate how badly I was glutenized. Over the next 3 weeks, I chomp on lactaid intolerance tablets before any dairy to head off the toxic gas, and keep Cottonelle fresh wipes handy for taint abrasions after my bowels finally unlock 5 to 7 days later. GLUTENIZED!

2. Melissa says:

Thank you so much for providing these remedies been celiac about a year and been glutened more times then i care to count ugh:/ 3 days of upset tummy and a case of the ickys not fun:( gonna definitley use some of these ideas.

3. Amy says:

Be careful about taking over the counter gas/bloating meds they can cause leaky gut. I was taking phazime and tums when things were not right. Finally nothing worked, that is when I found out I had leaky gut on top of celiac. Not fun!!

4. Christine says:

Does any one else get violently ill? It happens within 30 minutes and my body purges as fast as it can. I often end up in the hospital to replace fluids. And this is from a mere crumb of gluten.

5. Bill says:

Water, Water, Water, tea, and Water! Probiotics seem to help me a lot, too. (I use Jarrow’s Formula, by my doc’s recommendation – her husband has Celiac). Rest, extra B vitamins, and high protein/high iron foods like eggs help with my lagging energy. It all depends on how bad it is when I get hit, but I’m usually beat up for about week (give or take a day or two).

6. RoseMarie says:

I am not a water drinker because the water taste disgusting out where I live (I.e. the boonies), but what I do is drink a lot of green tea, cranberry ginger ale (Walmart’s great value kind rocks), and get plenty of sleep. Being glutened sucks but during this time of the year with office parties, and school functions it is hard to always keep on track.

7. Trish says:

My response to gluten is so violent that I would not be able to leave the bathroom for at least 24 hours. I was last glutened in 2009 and I thought for sure I would die.

8. melissa says:

This is really helpful ive been gluten free for a year and a half i feel better for it but im glad i found this too it helps me even more =)

9. Liz says:

Ibuprofen, lots of water, club soda, ginger ale or ginger beer, and lots of sleep. Rice only for 24 hours after I wake up.

10. Sara says:

I love anise seed and ginger tea- both help alleviate gas and sour stomach. I will also try and eat some GF high fiber foods the following day:)

11. Becka says:

I always drink water and sleep it off. Tho the sleeping it off can be anywhere from an hour nap to a 5 hour coma state :/

12. Chantale says:

I drink lots of water and peppermint tea’s, and stick to a rice and applesauce diet for a day or two to calm my stomach. I also take Digestzen (essential oil) which can really help! But it’s all about being patient, my stomach and bowel movements are never back to normal for about two weeks.

13. Kathy says:

My doctor recommended ALKASELZER GOLD. She said it has to be the GOLD. That is what they use to help get the food out of the gut faster and get it out of your system.

14. Susan says:

GlutenEase- it’s a digestive enzyme. I take 2 to 3 and drink A LOT of water. Green tea and gingerale also help out. Plus, I eat super clean and fiberous foods (and no dairy) for several days. It’s usually still a day or two (or more) til I am back to “normal”.

15. Penny says:

My go-to is Phazyme (for gas and bloating). If I don’t have any Phazyme, I’ll go to a Fro-Yo place and get some yogurt.

16. Candice says:

I drink copious amounts of green tea, either hot or iced. Not only does it help me recover, I think it makes the attack less severe ( or maybe it’s just the power of positive thinking).

17. Allison says:

I take Omeprazole and anti diarrheal medication. I drink soda and water. The soda helps to calm my stomach and the water helps to flush the gluten out of my body. I try to take it easy.

18. Jason says:

I’m so happy to have seen this! I’m still in the learning process and unfortunately eat things that put me out of commission sometimes. Great advice :)

19. Nicole says:

Thank you! I’m new to GF and have had some horrible reactions! I’ll try anything to help. Thank you! Blessings & Merry Christmas!

20. Seleste says:

Thank you! This just happened to me last night and I found NO relief. I’m saving this for next time and sharing it with my GFF’s!