You Got Glutened! Now what?

By: Katie White – Udi’s Outreach Coordinator

We try our best to remain completely free of gluten – we quiz wait staff, call manufacturers, even stick to only a few brands we know and trust. Unfortunately there are times when, in spite of our best efforts, we still get glutened.

All of us have our own go-to advice and home remedies, so after extensive polling and testing, we’ve collected our favorite ones* here. Good luck, feel better, and drink up that apple cider vinegar!

To aid in digestion and calm your stomach:

• Apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tbsp ACV, 1 tbsp honey mixed with a mug of hot water
  • Aloe Juice
  • Chamomile and peppermint teas
  • LOTS of sleep, LOTS of water
  • Ibuprofen/Advil for headaches
  • Fermented foods

Recovery:

• Juices (kale, ginger smoothies)
  • Plain brown rice and vegetables. If your stomach can handle it, add in some plain grilled chicken.
  • Vitamins, digestive enzymes to help your gut heal
  • Tom Kha soup
  • Stay away from other trigger foods for awhile (dairy, coffee, oats, refined sugars, anything high in fat)

*Please note: in emergencies, always refer to your doctor. Our home remedies and advice do not replace a doctor’s orders or advice and are not intended as medical treatments.

What are your go-to treatments when you accidentally get contaminated by gluten?

69 Responses to “You Got Glutened! Now what?”

1. Kristi M. says:

I take Levsin or Donatol to stop the cramping and pain but take Phillips Milk of Magnesia to get the gluten out as fast as possible. That and lots of water and rest seem to be the only thing to do (besides suffer).

2. Dorothy says:

I use Meclizine and Dicyclomine for symptoms. lots of water and sleep. Ibuprofen for the headache if needed. Stick to broths, rice. Floragen – good probiotics – helpful on regular basis.

3. Christopher says:

When I’ve been glutened in the past, or even when my gut is feeling wonky for whatever reason, ginger ale has always been one of my best friends. The easy to find store brands will do the trick, but if you can find the slightly more potent bottles of ginger ale at your local co-op or health food store, I find that the stronger the ginger content, the better.

4. Marsha says:

If I am lucky when I get some gluten into my system I get diarrhea and take and anti-diarrhea medicine, If I am unlucky and get more than just a bit of gluten I throw-up for about 3-4 hours and I have diarrhea. Haven’t found anything to help when that happens. Any ideas?

5. Angelina says:

Been at this for a few years, after reading about Ginger and its benefits I started grabbing a bag of Ginger candy, the candy is easy to transport. Chase it with a cup of hot tea, any calming style will do. I will only spend 3 days with issues, and I try not to stop what nature is doing, why dam a river when it is cleaning the area.

6. Mkosmicki says:

I use a cocktail of Pepcid AC (famatodine) and Benadryl (diphenhydramine), LOTS of water and/or G2 Gatorade and sleep.

I also watch my diet and stay away from other triggers.

7. Katlyn Nourian-Green says:

Thanks for the info as more often then none there are no relief and just have to live thru it for weeks until I can fully recover!

8. Carol says:

I have been glutened and it has been 2 months and I still have all the problems.

9. Paul says:

You have listed to take Ibuprofen/Advil, however, Ibuprofen has the same inflammatory effects as gluten does. My GE doctors have indicated that those with Celiac or other gastrointestinal issues stay away from Ibuprofen/Advil.

As always consult *your* particular gastroenterologist for their recommendations that are particular to your case.

10. Sheryl says:

I drink chamomile and peppermint tea helps me a great deal

11. Vernon says:

I do the same as Allison but now I see some other ideas to try. Thanks everyone!

12. Lisa says:

I can attest to the lots of water and sleep. Soda can help too, sometimes. Good to have a few more ways to help in my arsenal. Thanks for publishing this!

13. Robyn says:

Ginger ale and ginger tea help settle my stomach, especially when I’m traveling.

In reply to Penny about eating frozen yogurt, be careful!!! I actually got glutened by eating yogurt at TCBY.

14. Kaeli says:

Ha! Good Ideas. I tend to just not eat anything until I feel normal again. I might try these.

BTW, anyone else tend to have a crazy-huge appetite once better? I eat a lot for a few days. Probably it’s my body trying to replenish nutrients.

15. Roxanne says:

I use hot peppermint water. I use peppermint extract in the boiled water just a couple of drops are needed.

16. Tiff says:

As soon as I think I have been glutened, I take activated charcoal tablets. It helps shorten the recovery period, but since charcoal will absorb just about anything I would recommend taking it a good half hour or so before starting the other remedies.

17. Hilary says:

As someone who experiences contact dermatitis via gluten (blisters, scabs, rashes wherever it has touched me), I recommend:
    1) Heavy moisturizer like Vaseline, lip balm, or olive oil to keep skin moist and soft to keep itching to a minimum and promote healing.
    2) Wash everything that might have also come into contact with gluten to prevent further contamination.
    3) Zinc, Vitamin C, and Alpha Lipoic Acid to help the skin to heal.

Hope this helps!

18. Kate says:

The only thing that I find helps is Advil Liquid Gel PM. I can handle the stomach issues with pro-biotics and time, but my body aches so badly that I can’t sleep.

19. Katie says:

I get as much sleep as possible. Sleep is helpful helping your body recover from anything. I sleep on my right side or stomach, which aids digestion. Also drink tons of water, eat healthy, & exercise to flush it out.

I see a lot of peppermint & green tea references. I’ll have to try that too! Thanks for this!

20. Linda C. says:

I think I got glutened yesterday. Still trying to decide if that or a bad, bad stomach bug. There are some good reminders here. I haven’t eaten all day. Going to go get some aloe juice and Probiotic now and see where I can go from there. Thank you.