Dairy Free Ranch Dressing
Using sunflower seeds as the primary ingredient, this dressing provides a nice healthy dairy-free alternative to traditional ranch dressing. The sunflower seeds are soaked for a while before being blended with the other ingredients. This increases their nutritional value and digestibility. Anytime nuts, seeds, grains, etc. are soaked prior to use in recipe the seeds begin germinating, which changes the nutritional profile of the food. They go from being a raw food to a living food and are incredibly more beneficial to our bodies. Add more garlic if you prefer a zippier ranch dressing.
- 1 ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 ¾ cup water
- juice of 2 lemons (about 1/3- ½ cup)
- 1/3 cup oil (or a combination of olive and flax oil)
- 1 clove garlic
- ¾ tsp. basil
- 2 Tbsp. tahini
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 1 ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- PREP: Pre-soak sunflower seeds for at least 2 hours.
- In a food process or blender, blend the sunflower seeds lemon juice garlic, tahini, sea salt, and onion powder with the water.
- When smooth, gently mix in oil, basil, oregano, and thyme.
- This dressing is best if made ahead, so the herbs are allowed time to contribute their flavor.
- Makes 1 quart.