Mama’s Breakfast Casserole
* 8 slices of Udi’s White Bread
* 1 lb. sage breakfast pork sausage
* 6 eggs, slightly beaten
* 2 ¼ c. milk
* ½ c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
* ¾ c. gruyere cheese, shredded
* ½ tsp. salt
* ½ tsp. white pepper
* 2 tsp. ground mustard
* ½ tsp. nutmeg
1. Grease an 11 × 7-inch casserole dish with butter or margarine.
2. Cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat until thoroughly browned and crumbled. Remove from heat, drain excess fat, and set aside.
3. Remove crusts from 8 slices of Udi’s white bread, and cut into ½-inch cubes.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, mustard, and nutmeg. Stir in sausage, cheese, and bread cubes until all is moistened.
5. Pour mixture into prepared pan, patting down the top for a relatively even surface.
6. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
7. Preheat oven to 350oF. Bake casserole, covered and straight from refrigerator, for 65 minutes. After 65 minutes, turn oven down to 325oF and remove foil cover. Bake for an additional 40 minutes. It will be done when the top begins to brown and no longer looks wet.