Roast Chicken with Gluten Free Bread Salad by Samantha O.
Adapted from Judy Rodgers "The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant."
For the chicken:
-One small chicken, 2-3/4 to 3-1/2-pounds
-1 tbsp. melted butter
-1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary (Optional)
For the salad
-Generous 8 ounces slightly stale open-crumbed Udi's gluten-free White Sandwich Bread
-6 to 8 tablespoons mild-tasting olive oil
-1-1/2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar, white wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar (check your labels for "gluten free"!)
-Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
-1 tablespoon dried currants
-2 tablespoons pine nuts
-2 to 3 garlic cloves, slivered
-1/4 cup chopped Shallots
-A few handfuls of arugula, frisee, or red mustard greens, carefully washed and dried
Preparing the Bread Salad:
1. Cube and toast your gluten free bread until hard in the oven at 350.
2. Let cool and rub them with the garlic just to get the essence on the bread.
3. Toss oil, vinegar, left over garlic, shallots and season with salt and pepper.
4. Place on sheet pan and set aside.
Preparing the Chicken:
1. Preheat oven to 450-500 almost the highest heat that your oven can handle. Get the freshest and healthiest chicken you can buy.
2. Pat your chicken dry, but not completely. Lightly season with kosher salt in the cavity and on the outside. The reason I say lightly is because you will be basting the chicken later with salted butter.
3. You can tuck the rosemary under the skin for decoration and for flavor. This is always optional. 4. Tie legs together with twine...I leave the wings out because they are my favorite part--all crunchy and crisp!
5. Put your Chicken on the cast iron pan and let it cook (basically "searing" it in the oven) for about 35-45 minutes. No need to open the oven and turn it. Have no fear! This is how you get that crispy, golden skin. Baste with melted butter.
6. Reduce heat to 350 and let chicken roast for another 30-45 minutes until it reaches the temperature of 170 from the breasts (and this is US by Agricultural terms).
7. Place your bread salad in the oven to "toast" some more (about 15-20 minutes).
8. Remove from chicken oven and let rest for about 15 minutes before carving.
9. Once your bread salad has "toasted" some more, take out of the oven and toss with the currants and pine nuts. Then toss with your freshly cleaned greens.
10. Cut up chicken and place on top of salad--and savor every moment."-Thanks to Samantha @ TickleMeBlessed.