You Got Glutened! Now what?
By: Katie White – Udi’s Outreach Coordinator
We try our best to remain completely free of gluten – we quiz wait staff, call manufacturers, even stick to only a few brands we know and trust. Unfortunately there are times when, in spite of our best efforts, we still get glutened.
All of us have our own go-to advice and home remedies, so after extensive polling and testing, we’ve collected our favorite ones* here. Good luck, feel better, and drink up that apple cider vinegar!
- Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp ACV, 1 tbsp honey mixed with a mug of hot water
- Aloe Juice
- Chamomile and peppermint teas
- LOTS of sleep, LOTS of water
- Ibuprofen/Advil for headaches
- Fermented foods
- Juices (kale, ginger smoothies)
- Plain brown rice and vegetables. If your stomach can handle it, add in some plain grilled chicken.
- Vitamins, digestive enzymes to help your gut heal
- Tom Kha soup
- Stay away from other trigger foods for awhile (dairy, coffee, oats, refined sugars, anything high in fat)
*Please note: in emergencies, always refer to your doctor. Our home remedies and advice do not replace a doctor’s orders or advice and are not intended as medical treatments.
What are your go-to treatments when you accidentally get contaminated by gluten?